What's the trick to putting the shifting fork cover bac

farmalldave

New User
Hello I have a Farmall b I removed the transmission shifting cover. I cant figure out how to put the cover back on. I was able to put it back on but it was in reverse when the shifting lever is in neutral how is this possible what am I missing.

Thanks

Was the tractor in neutral when you took the cover off? IF so, the slots in the shift rails should all be lined up in a row. When putting the cover on, you need to make sure the end of the shift lever is in that slot.
If it was in reverse when you took the cover off, there's your problem--that rail is out of alignment. You'll need to remove the cover again and line that one up with a punch or screwdriver--effectively taking it out of reverse. Make sure you block the wheels so it doesn't roll away!

You need to make sure all the shift collars in the
transmission are in neutral position. And also make sure
the shifting forks are in neutral position. Then carefully
lower the cover down making sure the forks go into the
collars.

Have not been in one of those 4 speed transmission
tractors. In the attached diagram reverse fork 16 has to
engage in reverse gear 34. Not having been in one of
those I am not sure of the exact orientation but the
reverse gear has to set lower on one of the sides on
shaft 36. The reverse gear has to engage to gears on
both the upper and lower shaft to reverse direction of
the tractor.
CNHI Farmall B transmission parts diagram

When I put the cover back on my H I lined up the gears in neutral (no mainshaft gear engaged with a countershaft gear), put the shift lever in neutral and lowered it. When it was about an inch above the rear casing I used a flashlight and looked to see that the shift forks were fitting in the grooves in the mainshaft gears.

When I put the cover back on an H, I bolted two 2x4s in the bucket on the loader on another H so they stuck out like a fork lift.

I then bolted the cover beneath the 2x4s. I lined the gears and forks up properly and with the hydraulic tilt on the loader I very carefully maneuvered the cover
properly into place over the transmission. When it was all lined up properly, I eased the cover down into place.

That was the only time I've had to do it, and I'll admit not everyone has a loader that worked as neatly as that one did.

I have gone through this with numerous IH models. Never had a problem. Just think the process through and make sure everything is in its proper place before slowly lowering the cover into place.

Probably late to this, but on other tractors,I screw in a couple long studs to make sure the top goes straight down. Stan

Goose man, I am sure your idea works great on a machine that the shifters are incorporated into the top cover that weighs a 100 pounds or more. But in this case the OP is probably wondering why you are suggesting to go to all this trouble. The shift cover on a Farmall A, B and the Cubs are less than a foot square and weigh somewhere in the 20 - 30 lbs range, weight is a guesstimate. See the link to the parts diagram in my post.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back