Whats your go to tractor, in the -40-50 old category?

Bruce from Can.

I have two, 930 or 1030 Case tractors. These two are my go to first tractors for many jobs. Pulling manure spreader, forage wagons, seed drill, hay rake . I have other tractors that can do these jobs but I just really like using these two. Its got to the point on my farm, that there isnt much left for smaller tractors to do anymore.
Ya , sure I dont use these tractors all winter, my everyday go to tractors are modern 4wd loader tractors with cabs, but thats not the category of tractor we are looking at. I am asking about your 40-50 year old vintage tractors that can still fit into your operation and work just as they were intended when new.

A David Brown 4600 w/ Albion FEL does snow removal, yard details, and road maintenance in our little corner of Rocks and Cows.

My newest tractor I use is a 1990 Yanmar 330 I use mow hay,1972 Oliver 1365 with loader is my main hay handling/feeding tractor,David Brown 780 has been hooked to a NH rake for over
20 years,1960's vintage 1550 and 1650 Oliver diesels are my main baling tractors.Oliver 1365 4WD has a rear blade on in the Winter and chisel plow to rip gardens and food plots in the Spring/Summer.Have loaders on AC 180 and 185 and just got installed a loader on my Case/DB 990.1950 Oliver 66 used to pull various trailers.Catch all tractors include Long 460,560,445,Another DB 990,AC D14,D15,D10,CA,WD.

No cabs here and no heat . Neither tractor uses engine oil and they get used around here .

cvphoto120613.png

cvphoto120614.jpg

cvphoto120615.jpg

cvphoto120616.jpg

cvphoto120617.jpg

cvphoto120618.png

cvphoto120619.jpg

cvphoto120620.jpg

For most daily chores either a 360 or 445 Long, for garden duties a Super A or a 140, and standing by is the Farmall H.

Once April gets here I plant a new patch of sweetcorn about every 4 days, so if I can leave stuff hooked up it helps. I have the 4020 on the 14' Burch disk, 3020 gas on the 4 row planter, 2010 on the 3 point sprayer, 2510 on the produce sprayer, 3600 Ford on the melon cultivator, 4000 Ford on the shielded sprayer to spray between the rows of plastic mulch for melons or other veggies, and then the newer tractors get switched around more on all the rest of the implements. The only one that gets left out is the WD because its just not handy to get on and off, and is limited by narrow front end and poor 3 point operation.

A 60's? Massey Harris Pony, in process and a 1961 Massey Ferguson 25, sole purpose to run the wood saw, and a 1979 Belarus 420A, power supply for the power trailer/loader, the other two are almost but still young for this question.:)

I have 6 930 Case tractors and a 1030 Case with a loader. Get used for the smaller jobs like spraying and fertilizer spreading. A 730 Case gets put on the moco to cut hay.
cvphoto120625.jpg

cvphoto120626.jpg

cvphoto120627.jpg

cvphoto120628.jpg

cvphoto120629.jpg

cvphoto120630.jpg

cvphoto120631.jpg

1970 Farmall 826 hydro demonstrator. Actually, every tractor I own fits in the 40 year old or more category. But the hydro is my favorite.

Whew..... Had to think if I had any that new! I have a '75 Cub ling stripe, fast hitch. That will be my garden tractor this year. Plow, disk, scraper blade, tow bar, and mower. Much easier to swap implements than a cub with out a fast hitch

Being an Oliver guy I have a bit of a hard time to admit this, but the tractor that still gets the most hours on it is this 710 JD. It is pretty hard to beat for fuel economy and I dont know how I would do without it come haying time. Bruce: with the cost of fuel you might find those big old brutes of yours might be a little thirsty for raking hay!
cvphoto120633.jpg

Bruce, My go to tractors don't fit in that age range.
1941 JD H is gardening tractor.
1951 Case VAC is used for discing mostly.
1952 8N Ford is my log pulling, lawn mowing, subsoiling, trailer pulling tractor.
2004 Kubota L5030 is my loader, Bush Hog tractor.
They all get used a lot, especially the 8N and the Kubota.
Richard in NW SC

Way to new for me, if question would be 75+ years it would be the 44 2N Ford that Dad bought new when I was 9 months old or the 41 9N that is partly rebuilt wating to get engine back in but they are both retired now that I am no longer on the farm but in an apartment. The newest I had on the farm would not even fit in that age catagorie as they were 1968 Fords.

Big tractor gets used for the heavier j
cvphoto120642.jpg

cvphoto120643.jpg

jobs, smaller tractor gets used for the lighter jobs. Each sees about the same use annually. Vintage tractors get used for fun...!

Ben

I dont have any in that age range but my two most used tractors are a 1955 Farmall 300 and a 1988 CaseIH 485. Both see 100 plus hours a year, most doing hay, loader work, and wood chipping.

Ford 5000. Was my only tractor for a while, did everything.

It's not as busy now, engines kind of tired, mows and rakes my hay and that's about it.

But I like running it.

Accumulated other tractors and they all have their jobs. And do their jobs better than the 5000 did (why I got them).

But at one time that 5000 did it all.

Fred

Mine would be my main tractors. A 1969 1030 case and my 730ck gas and 730ck diesel. Now with no cattle they sit almost all winter.When I need to move equipment in and out of my packed pole shed The older IH model H gets the job done with ease.

MF 180 with loader, not much work in the summer but it is a bush horse in the winter and keeps the lane open
cvphoto120658.jpg

That would be my 53 Golden Jubilee with a loader on the front and forks on the 3 point and hyd. top link. Joe

Is that an aftermarket roll bar? If so, what is your source? I have a 2110 Id like to put a roll baron.

With the Canada/ USA Border closed for twenty months, we used the 1966 CASE 830 to move snow. Electric Block heater,8 speed Comfort king.....:)

Plenty of Clerance, Rears are loaded ,chained up..

Not required this winter...wintering in Arizona..

Bob..
cvphoto120684.jpg

cvphoto120685.jpg

cvphoto120686.jpg

For me its got to be the 2090 Case even though it is hard to believe it is 42 years old as it is an integral part of my farming. The 2140 John Deere with loader would be close behind but its not quite 40 years old yet. The Massey Super 90 would probably be top of the list if it had working pto and brakes.

mvphoto89588.jpg

My main go to tractor is a 1965 Minneapolis Moline Jet Star 3 Industrial with loader followed by my 1962 Jet Star that I bought new up on returning from Korea! Probably my next is the 1947 Farmall M! Got lots to choose from!!!!! RA60

1954 Ford NAA and 1968 Ford 4000, both used for haying and odds and ends.4000 also did most of the firewood skidding and hauling.

Depending on the job most of them. H,574,674,806,856. Putter work cutting wood and auger work for the 3 smaller ones then Hay work with the to bigger ones and rake on the 74 series. Other bigger tractors nearly that old are for the tillage and heavy work close to the or are in the 40 yr range each of the Stiegers on chisel plow disc and field cultivator 7140 on planter

656 Hydro. The air conditioner worked good all winter and I except the heater to work all summer!

Oldest son has a 1960 Farmall 140 and has claimed the Farmall 300, along with my '56 JD 420 S. For me it is Grandaddy's '57 Farmall 100 bought new, a IH 574 and 674 with a loader that sees use most every day followed by a IH 1086. The CIH Maxxums and box car Magnums tote most of the heavy work tho.

I am fixing up a Super C. Just wondering, do your axles stick out past the mowing width of your six foot mower. I can't get up the nerve to cut mine off. Just wondered if they came in different lengths.

For several years my 69 4000 Ford was the only tractor I had so it did all of the work, its still my favorite tractor to use but it cant handle the newer round baler
78 model 5600 is presently on mower duty until the 76 model 6600 row crop is up a running again
Allergies have forced me into a cab for baling hay which is done with the 6610 cab tractor, but its only 32 years old

mvphoto89592.jpg

The first thing I did was cut the axles off. They stick out so much, they will rip the bark off trees. I used a right angle grinder and a cutoff disk.. Took a while.
Also made special mounting brackets to center the mower deck.
Woods mowers are off set to the right..

1949 Earthmaster C and then I have a 1981 John Deere/Yanmar 650 that has had a 5' Flail mower on it ~ for the last 15 years. I have a Dig-It brand (Power king Clone), Terra Mite size, TLB plus a John Deere LT150 lawn mower

For me, it would be my '59 IH 340 utility. Even though it's 63 years old ,it is my newest tractor. I only bought it last summer, but it gets used almost daily for some chore or other; without a doubt the most over-worked and under-appreciated tractor on the place. The darn thing starts so easy, just sips fuel, and is mighty handy to get on/off and into/out of tight places. The shuttle shift makes it easy to maneuver and the fast hitch is easy to hook and unhook equipment. I often tell people that my old 300 don't owe me a dime after 10 years of hard work, but the 340 darn sure earns it's keep on this farm too.

Mac

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back