When did ROPS become required equipment?

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Just curious, I've been looking at getting a newer tractor for around the farm. My '44M doesn't have a ROPS (obviously). All the brand new Kubotas and the like have ROPS.

Seems like mid to late 70's tractors don't have ROPS, but then all the tractors starting around early 80's do have them.

When did they become required equipment?
 
I imagine that varried in every state in the US and every province in Canada, however probably all happened within a couple of years. State and provincial governments passed those laws, not industry.
 
I've mentioned this before in other discussions, I think it was later 60's and early 70's I do remember the early 70's line up of fords on our lot having them as well as the promotional pictures hung in the offices, wish I had those amongst my artifacts from that place. It had to be an O.S.H.A. thing, construction equipment, specifically caterpillar track type tractors started installing them around that time as well, mostly speculation, someone I'm sure would be able to fill us in on the details.
 
ROPS became required in 1970, maybe 1969, I forget exactly, on construction equipment.
ROPS are not required today on agricultural units if the owner or his family are the only operators.The minute you loan it to somebody or have an employee operate it. It has to have a ROPS
 
If I wasn't lazy I would look in the CFR 1910 reg for OSHA. But I think 1979 was the year. Somewhere in there OSHA decreed that they all have ROPS.
 
I think your pretty close on the year but I think it also varied depending on the size of the tractor. It seems to me like tractors over 80hp had different requirements than smaller tractors.
 
10/25/76. here is one link I found that looks reasonable:

http://www.age.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/e/E9.pdf
 
You can get a Rops through Kubota program for your 1977 At a Special very low Cost.

My BIL got one for there Golf coarse Kubota L245
Through the Dealer and installed it himself for about $125.00
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top