Where to Start Restoration

Anonymous-0

I have an Allis Chalmers WD. The tractor runs rough and smokes. It needs brakes. Rear tires are filled. I suspect it needs a new clutch. I think I will also take the rear end apart to check for water and damage. Where would you recommend a guy start a major restoration? I"m thinking maybe the engine to see if the block is good. Do you tear the whole tractor apart, clean, repair, repaint, then reassemble? Would just like some ideas on how you would go about it.

here's my $.02 so take it for what it's worth. I start my projects with research first.
owners manuals, service manuals, restoration guide books (Guy Fay, has a nice one for the Allis's).
When I got ready to start turning wrench's on one like yours I'd start by washing it off and then pull it into the garage. Then I'd start with a tune up to see if a few simple fixes might fix your machine. If that didn't work I might send the carb out for a major rebuild (I have marginal success with kits but excellent succes with Trendlines rebuilding them). I'd drain the oil out of the rear end into a clean bucket and inspect for contamanation. Then I'd buy the rubber boot to go over the shift lever that let all that dang water in. As far as the clutch goes, I'd wanna get a little time on it to see if it clears up with a little use. btw congrats on the project and good luck.

I always had more trouble with "where do you stop" when restoring one. Most all of the ones I have kept I didn't stop. I tore them down 100% You would be amazed at how how problems you can find once you go looking.

I agree with jason(ma) Get all your manuals then fix whatever makes it run ill like ignition parts, carb rebuild,drain fluids and replace, if it needs rering or total rebuild, brakes, and any other thing that doesn't work right then take it out and use it you will know if more is needed using it.

Tires, brakes, and clutch is pretty much a given on any old tractor, so hopefully you have already worked those expenses into the equation. You also know that the engine needs to be rebuilt, so you can add that cost into the equation. What you don't know is the condition of the transmission and rear end. It would be very disappointing to spend the money on an engine rebuild, new tires, clutch and brakes, and then find out the trans is junk. I would inspect the trans and rear before going any further.

I'm rebuilding an oliver 1655 right now, and had the same problem. Started out to replace the head gasket and piston set. Head didn't look good so it's gettin rebuilt. Crank didn't look good so its getting turned. While the crank is out might as well have new cam bearings put in, and clutch job while its apart. The transmission has always made a little noise, so I figured now would be the time to look at that. Got everything apart, and realized if I'm spending this much money, and have it this far apart, it should at least look good, so paint is next.
Josh

Before doing a major cleanup, take some pix and note where the leaky seals are. In-process pix are nice to post when you take the restored unit to a tractor show. Gives people an idea how much is involved to make it look pretty. With need for an engine rebuild, pull it and then the castings to the rear if those seals need replacing. Easy to slide them within the frame.

I agree with all. First the research and the leaks. Make notes. Run tractor and listen closely to how it sounds. You should be able to tell if backend is noisy in any reguards prior to purchase. Add huge expense, at your own or others time. Iginition and motor first and then work it front to back. Eyes and ears are more knowledgable than you think. I really agree with Mike M. and do not know where to stop. I to become surprised at some things but they get fixed correctly and you will know that it has been done -right- and will run like a charm when all done. Alot of hard work and many many hours and alot of green. All depends on what you want as a end result.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back