Where to turn now 2N out of commission

gplummerz28

New User
Does anyone on this forum know Virgil that has a mobile AG tractor service in Gridley, California.
My tractor needed an engine rebuild and Virgil picked up my tractor on 12/2/2021 to rebuild it for around $1,800 to $2,000. On 1/14/2022 I found out that Virgil has been sick in bed. He said he still has not been able to work on tractor. So far the motor was sent out for cleaning and found it has large hole behind the sleeve and needed to use another motor. He went to doctor thinking his cancer is coming back. It is now 2/18/2022 and he does not return any of my calls. I feel sorry for him healthwise, but it is putting me in a jamb as my weeds are growing and I need to mow ASAP. I have checked with some local rental yards, but they don't have any 3 point PTO tractors for me to rent. Now my only option may be to buy another used tractor. I posted on a local web site to see if anyone knows about him which is why I am writing here to see if anyone knows of him and his status or maybe knows someone in the Oroville area that has a cheap tractor for sale that runs or will rent. I had a guy out last year to give me a bid to do it for me and he didn't want to do it. go figure.
I'm Greg in Oroville California. thanks

Go to Virgil, gather up the pieces and do it your self. Engine kits are available from the people who sponsor this site. Or buy in another engine from a salvage yard. Or put your losses behind you and get
another tractor.

Has he perhapts passed away? Knowing he was sick in bed with thinking his cancer comming back makes that sound likely.I think that should be first thing for you to check into. Check at courthouse for any death records. Do you even know where he actually lived? Anything more than a Phone number? If he has passed then you will have to work with the estate to get your tractor back and that could take even a couple of years.

Greg,

Send me an email. Either through the link
in the post (send email) or use my
username @comcast.net.

Pat

(reply to post at 05:44:39 02/19/22)

If I was capable I would have done it myself. I have had cancer twice now and chemo left me with Neuropathy in my hands, feet and legs and I can barely walk. Not easy taking care of my 6 acre property without my tractor.

Illness and accidents can happen to anyone at anytime. Larger businesses cover those possibilities in their contract paperwork and often eat the extra costs as a part of doing business. Smaller businesses sometimes work by spoken word contracts until they are not able to anymore.

In this area it would be high time to look for a replacement tractor to use in the new season. Hopefully Mr. Virgil will eventually recover and can either complete the engine rebuild, find someone else to complete it for you, or have someone gather the pieces and return them to you. Either way you it may be highly unlikely that your tractor will be ready in time for this season. IMHO, a true friend would not push him or pester him when he is severely ill.

Greg, have you heard any more about him or your tractor? I am guessing not. So do you have a last name for him? Address other than a phone Number? Was he an older man, possibly living by himself? Sounds to me like he was probably older and possibly a widower or never married with no one to be able to contact you on his behaf. Cancer can take you very fast so if he is unable to get back with you and no one to help him answer you he mabe now be in a hospital or nursing home with no one being able to help him. or if single might he be laying in his home dead? If you have an address how about you taking a drive past his place and seeing if it looks like any activity at his place, even like an over stuffed mail box? I am still guessing that he might have passed on having that canser and no one knowing anything about him having your tractor. With you saying he thought his canser was back says he did not see a Dr. about being sick enough he was sick in bed. Did you have anything more than a cell phone number for him like a land line phone that might have a address listing for him in the phone book. Does phone ring or does it seem like a dead battery in cell phone. I am thinking he is alone with nobody able to make a call for him or not still living. Hope I am wrong about this but if you would find out later his dead body was found a month or two down the road would be a lot worse than trying all avenues avaible for you to check if he even is still alive. And if you can find out where he lived and drive by you might see your tractor setting at his place and then figuring out how to get it back as it is even if still alive he will never be able to work on it again.

(reply to post at 00:25:41 02/19/22)

I have made progress and met with Virgil today. Seems he had pneumonia and has not been to his shop in over a month. I told him his health is important and I was concerned that he had not responded to all my calls. He feeling much better, but somewhat weak. He showed me the block and the damage behind one cylinder wall is really bad and cannot be fixed (part of the water jacket). He is in process of locating another block for me and hopes to have it back to me within a couple of weeks. Looks like I don't have to rent or buy another tractor after all.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments always very helpful. I even have a good contact for tractor parts in the western states that I did not have before. Can't wait to get it back and mowing with my brush hog. Should run like new. This tractor has a great clutch and all the hydraulics work fine.
:D

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back