White 2-105 Crank no start

Hello I have been working on a white 2-105. Tractor had starting issues, fuel was coming out of the seals of the injection pump. We sent off the injection pump and had it rebuilt. Installed the new pump, installed new fuel filters bled the system with fuel in both tanks. Crank and barely any smoke. Burnt up the starter have a new starter, then installed. Cranks a lot better but still barely any smoke. We have shot either in the system and will get it smoke more and will barely start than nothing. I guess my question is does the injection pump need to be timed to a certain spot on the engine? Any ideas?

Hello I have been working on a white 2-105. Tractor had starting issues, fuel was coming out of the seals of the injection pump. We sent off the injection pump and had it rebuilt. Installed the new pump, installed new fuel filters bled the system with fuel in both tanks. Crank and barely any smoke. Burnt up the starter have a new starter, then installed. Cranks a lot better but still barely any smoke. We have shot either in the system and will get it smoke more and will barely start than nothing. I guess my question is does the injection pump need to be timed to a certain spot on the engine? Any ideas?
yes the pump needs to be timed. On my cockshutt I marked the gear before removing the pump and put it back the same way. If you turn the engine I do believe that you can look for the origanal timming marks on the gears.

That CAV DPA pump has the uprate drive hub with a blind spline, no flywheel timing needed, just align the pump flange mark with the base mark. Question, what brand fuel filters did you use? If NAPA/WIX make SURE there's NO extra O ring in the filter top OUTER groove next to the base sealing lip. That groove is the fuel INLET and must not be blocked/restricted. Also make sure there's NO air at the pump bleeder next to the name plate or pump will never work.

Attachments

• IMG_0052 (1).JPG
    IMG_0052 (1).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
That pump will only fit on .0
That pump gear has a dummy spline on it, so it will only go in the drive 1 way. To check timing, the pump drive and and mounting adapter on the engine are 2 grooves / slot that should be aligned when timed properly below the injection pump. These slots should align when the flywheel is at TDC of compression. There are marks on the flywheel looking through the hole on the front right side of the flywheel housing. The pump can be rotated some to change the timing, or remove the small cover on the front housing and the drive gear is adjustable also. It could be the bronze 90* drive gear is worn causing timing to be off. There is another method of checking timing by removing the 2 bolt cover on the side of the pump. This is only accurate if the guy who installed the snap ring in the pump clocked it correctly. Letter F on the pump drive behind that window should align with the mark on the snap ring when the engine 28* BTDC for an 1850 Oliver, not sure of the 2-105. Make sure pump is bled out also at the bleed screw on the side of it near the top.

That CAV DPA pump has the uprate drive hub with a blind spline, no flywheel timing needed, just align the pump flange mark with the base mark. Question, what brand fuel filters did you use? If NAPA/WIX make SURE there's NO extra O ring in the filter top OUTER groove next to the base sealing lip. That groove is the fuel INLET and must not be blocked/restricted. Also make sure there's NO air at the pump bleeder next to the name plate or pump will never work.
The photos in this post show what is of concern with the Wix/NAPA filters much better. Wix/NAPA Fuel filter concern

It appears that you are a mechanic and have basic knowledge, but since you are having this problem it would probably be worthwhile to tell step by step how you bled the whole system.

asking if the pump needs to be timed is kind of a weird question for a mechanic to ask. so i am presuming it is not timed. need to confirm that first, then the proper bleeding. then turn the key and start it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back