will a tractor do what I need?

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I have 1 acre that the builder of my home leveled out 1/2 of to put the house on. Now I want the back to be level and just about the last 10 to 15 feet to go upward against the back fence. The very back is about 4 feet higher than the lowest part. Will a tractor with loader and box blade do the job? The ground is a little rocky. Any suggestions on size and type would be great.
 
Sounds more like a job for a bulldozer. Make sure when you change the grade that you consider drainage, both yours and your neighbors. If you flood them with runoff you could end up being required to regrade back to what it is now.
 
just rent a bob cat with tracks for a weekend ,the dealer should have attachments also cheaper than owning and maintaining the tractor .I do this when I need equip + I can write off the rental fees
 
in my opinion i would use a bobcat with tracks you can scoop dirt and you can move it to where it is needed unlike a dozer and plus a bobcat is easier to run u dont run strictly off of feel like a dozer and a bobcat is just plain fun and rental is cheaper than getting someone to come in with a dozer or a bobcat.
 
You take the fun out of everything. Sure he could hire a professional, but then how does our friend get to operate a big cool tractor, or better yet, a bulldozer. What man would even suggest such a thing? Hire a proffesional, indeed?
 
I agree, Bob. You wouldn't want to sit back and watch somebody else have all the fun!
If you're a half-decent equipment operator, rent a Cat and do it your self. If you don't have a little experience, you might be better off to hire it done. A tractor with a loader and a back blade probably isn't the best thing for rocky ground.
 
I would use a tractor with a box blade. You can adjust the scarifiers down to dig according to what your tractor can pull and they will pull the rocks out. You can shave off the higher areas and pull it to the lower parts. When you have it looking pretty good use about a 7' landscape rake going in different directions to level it up. You don't need an excessively large tractor to do this either and it will be more maneuverable than a large one.
 
Rent a bobcat with a heavy duty digging bucket. There is no reason to fart around with a tractor for days on hand when you can do that in a day with a bobcat.
 
If he has a tractor and box blade on hand it would be worth a try. Othewise I would hire someone with bobcat experience unless he has run one before. Trying to learn to run a bobcat for that project may take some time and may not end up being the smoothest. I have done a lot of landscaping with a TO-20 Ferguson and a 5' box blade plus a landscape rake and you would be surprised at the amount of dirt you can move and smooth up in a short time. The landscape rake can be used to pull the surface rocks to one area where they can be loaded up and hauled away.
 
yes, my father backfilled his house and many other ventures with just a scraper blade. No stranger to a blade.
 
I used to use a regular back blade but since I bought a landscape rake I rarely use the blade. The landscape rake even works well for gravel. A box blade is a must to do any kind of serious dirt moving as the regular blade just doesn't cut in much. I have added one of those Zane Thangs to my Ferguson for position control and it really helps out with the final smoothing of the dirt. The big problem that I have is a crick in the neck from looking back. :o)
 
I've tried a blade on hard ground and it skims across the surface.most unsuitable unless ground broken by other means.
 
A two or a three plow tractor with a loader will do nicely. If posible use a plow, and work the ground first. The ground will be alot eiseier to to move, and to work with
 
You've only got an acre or so. About any of this stuff with loader or boxblade will do it. You don't want to do it too fast or the enjoyment will be gone too quick.....
I have a neighbor that dug a partial basement 15X25 or so under his house with a front tine tiller and a box fan....evenings over about a year...when he was much younger.....
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top