I,ve noticed that there is some confusion concerning the terms used when refering to a piece of equipment that wont start and run as it should. Would it be proper to ask contribters to list the terms the old timers use in those situations? Such as wont crank,(engine wont turn) wont start (turns but wont start), anyone want to start a list to better explain what is going on when machinery wont cooperate. Got some ideas,I,m sure they would be welcome....
 
Turns over but won't fire . Turns over with no spark . Turns over slowly . Backfires when turning over . Does nothing when I hit the starter button . Last one I can think of is that all I get is a clicking noise when I hit the starter button . Next ? God bless, Ken
 
Starts then dies, Turn over once back fire then nothing. thats all I can think off, you guys covered the rest I think.
 
Unless you actually are referring to a genuine Bush Hog unit, simply call it a "rotary cutter", and save the argument!
 
This internet thing complicates our world a bit because we can be from anywhere in the country, actually anywhere in the world.
My 85 year old uncle from east Texas uses that term (it cranks real quick, meaning it starts easily) all the time. It is correct common useage for his generation and in his area to say that. Like Bob, I live in ND, and being told "here" that it "wont crank" means it will not turn over with the starter.
Now if he called a mechanic in east Texas and said "my car dont crank" I bet the Texas mechanic would know to ask him if it turns over ok, but will not crank up ?

I would be curious to hear from other posters from Texas or other southern states, if "it wont crank", meaning it wont start is still common useage ?

In my area,especially with the older generation, a home freezer of any make is a "Deep Freeze" and engine antifreeze / coolant of any brand is "Prestone"
A soft drink in ND is "pop", while someone from farther east would say "soda"
You get farther north of me into Canada and hear a Canadian talking about "hydro lines", he is talking about electric power lines, not water pipes.
There must be hundreds of terms that have a specific meaning in their area of the world, would be fun to have everyone post them. Everyone please post what you know to be a term or useage for your area, that is not much used in the rest of the country.
 
In E. Tx. "won"t crank" still means it won"t start. May or may not mean it won"t turn over. And yes, an E. Tx mechanic will ask if it will turn over or it just doesn"t start.
 
I feel the same way about facial tissue. If it isn't a Kleenex describe it as facial tissue!!!!

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON TRANSPARENT TAPE!!!
 
In West TN, crank means to start (we know better, but in common usage); John Deere, Woods, etc. all make bush hogs (as does Bush Hog); when everyone first got electricity, they couldn't wait to get a frigidaire, 'though they probably got a Westinghouse or General Electric (refrigerator).
 
Not sorry I started this. If we are going to talk to the world we better learn to use the correct words. That bit about cranking when they mean running, has been a problem here for years. Now don't all you ladies get all "cranked" up at me. :>)
 
one contractor in my area doesn't try to confuse me with words---he calls, & holds his cell phone up to that hammerin' diesel---''didya hear that?? missin? whats that noise????
 
drop down a few rants and you will find a question about a push mower. Then he states that both are front wheel drive????. I thought that was a selfpropelled mower and a push mower was one with no drives on it!! Goes to show ya what is sometimes just ain't Henry
 
I am a native NE Texan. We share a common language with folks from SE Arkansas.

NE Texas statement: “I be fixin to crank up and cut on the chiller cause it’s gonna be a dogday.”

Translated for Others: “I am starting the car/truck and turning on the air conditioner because today the temperature will 90 degrees or higher.”

I often tell my students: “I do not have an accent. Where I come from in NE Texas, we all understand each other.”

In NE Texas, I own an antique bush hog manufactured by Bush Hog and another bush hog manufactured by Corsicana.

When replying to posts on this international forum, I refer to my two rotary cutters: 1 Bush Hog and 1 Corsicana.

I find the geographic “cultural diversity” on these forums very interesting; especially when photos are provided.
 
Hello Ken in Texas.
The engine is crancking when the starter is engaged and turning the engine over.
The engine will not start while crancking, or turning over with the key in the start position.
guido.
 
In order of "less" to "more" activity........won't do nothin; won't do nothin but click; turns over a little, ruuh, ruuh, ruuh; turns over fine, but won't crank; that sucker cranked (or fired) right up.
 
I know. It was a joke because it's one of those things that isn't always the same. People are going to describe their tractors in different ways just like some people say Bush Hog, brush hog, shredder, rotary mower.
 
To me cranking means turning the motor over BEFORE it starts {fires} then it's running.
I take the dictionary definition."cause to move"
either by the starter button or crank handle.
 
I,m a gonna go out in the dooryard an see iffin my jd will crank,or is it in the barnyard,or maybe out in the woodyard,nope,maybe the backyard. Later Hoss
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top