Workable transmission fluid?

OnTheCase

New User
Tractor Supply is running a special on their "Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid" for $28 for a 5g bucket, a pretty good deal.

Would this work okay in a Case VAC transmission? It's supposed to be "universal," but I don't know if that applies to vintage tractors. The original spec calls for 90 weight fluid, this is supposedly 10w-30.

Thanks guys!
Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, 5 gal.

No, you need gear lube, not trans/hydraulic fluid, it's for units like the Case-O-Matic with a torque converter and transmission sharing the same fluid with the hydraulics. 90wt, 80-90, 85w140, something like that in the transmission for a standard shift with a dry clutch. Look for a GL-5 rating.

'To clarify: if you have a vac with eagle hitch the fluid that goes in the torque tube which is infront of the tranny takes hydraulic fluid: Older ones take the same in both the tranny and torque tube.

Should not use hyd-trans where 90 or 140 is specified. However, I use the universal hyd-trans (I buy from Sam's Club for $45 for 5 gal) for all hydraulic circuits (antique or otherwise) and all other systems where a hyd-trans is specified. I am aware that hydraulic oil (#46) can be bought for about $5 less. #46 lacks an additive favorable to friction clutches and should not be used in power shift trannys.

Thanks for the clarification, kenbob. I was aware of that, but it's not a bad idea to clarify this for someone who might read this thread later. I knew the tranny sump was separate from the torque sump, but I wasn't clear on what type of fluid should go into the backend. But now I do. :)

While I'm here and we're on the subject, though... does anyone know of a place to get gear lube inexpensively? TSC has some SAE 80W-90, 2g for $28. That seem an okay price? I'm thinking due to the weight, maybe it's better to buy this locally rather than online. (Although, come to think of it, I haven't looked for it on Amazon yet, and Prime delivery is free. Hm...)

Thanks guys!

Especially true about knowing the difference. if someone is living by the online VAC manuals. I think at least one or more of them were for tractors before they went to hydro fluid in the torque tube. A related (of sorts story) A guy I knew did garden tilling. He was tilling for some old folks and saw an amost unused Troy Horse sitting in their garage. He asked them why they didn't use it. They said it leaked transmission grease from the day they had it and were tired of messing with it. He bought it from them and I bought it from him. I got it home and yep, it was leaking out the axles, but it was pink fluid? They had put automatic transmission fluid in it instead of transmission grease. Changed it out. THe leaks stopped. That was 20 years ago and still using it without leaks.

Gear lube is high these days. Best bet is to call around or shop around for the best price. Hit NAPA, Autozone, Walmart, Sams, etc. Last gear lube I bought I shopped around town and the best I could do was about $71 or 72.00 for 5 gal. That was 85-140 generic brand stuff. You might also check with any independent tractor repair shops in your area. Some places will sell you a bucket full (you provide the bucket) at a little over their cost from the 55 gallon drums they buy it in.

(quoted from post at 07:23:33 11/04/18) So as long as it's gear lube? Not necessary to use the "mineral" type?
Mineral simply means it's made of dead dinosaurs, not necessarily a good thing. Synthetics usually have a higher film strength. As I said earlier, as long as it's GL-5 or better you're fine.

(quoted from post at 11:15:38 11/04/18)
(quoted from post at 07:23:33 11/04/18) So as long as it's gear lube? Not necessary to use the "mineral" type?
Mineral simply means it's made of dead dinosaurs, not necessarily a good thing. Synthetics usually have a higher film strength. As I said earlier, as long as it's GL-5 or better you're fine.
Thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back