AC 190 Gas - What Trans/Hyd/Final Drive Fluids?

mightyspat

New User
Greetings,

So ... I did a thing and bought another tractor, cause everyone needs more tractors - Alice Chalmers 190 Gas

Looking through the manual and the internet and I'm finding myself a bit confused on the Transmission & Final Drive fluid to use.

The manual states:

Hydraulic & Power Director (fill nearest left foot): Power Fulid 821, or in modern english, Tractor Supply Universal Hyd/Trans Fluid

Transmission (fill nearest right foot): Power Fulid 821, or in modern english, Tractor Supply Universal Hyd/Trans Fluid

Final Drives: Part No. 249680 again this translates into 80W-90 gear Oil

All of this makes sense and meets my expectations.

My question is - I've found references to using gear oil in the transmission and final drives, references using UTF in the transmission and final drives, and even references where people mention that the transmission and final drives are essentially the same reservoir, meaning using two different fluids seems to make no sense.

I'm guessing the manual is the correct reference, but that some people have leaks between the Trans and Final drive requiring them to pick one or the other or do a rebuild.

Some clarification on this conundrum would be helpful from anyone who knows...things...

This post was edited by mightyspat on 12/11/2023 at 09:58 am.

Your owners manual is 50+ years old. No one re-writes the owners manual. Definitely 821/821XL or equivalent in the hydraulic and transmission/differential, which is TWO compartments. There are TWO final drive compartments. 80/90 wt gear oil is fine as is the same 821/821 XL. The modern 821/821XL oil is used in 600 HP tractors in everything, so an 80 HP 190 tractor would get along just fine.

To top off the one I just acquired (also a 190xt gas), I called around the consensus was Hy-Tran was fine in both. Steering and drive seemed to work after 20+ years of sitting.

At some point I am going to drain the old fluid completely and top off with fresh.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back