WorkMaster 601 issues

joe1383

New User
1959 Ford Workmaster 601: Dies after about 10 minutes. The only way to get it to run for that ten minutes is to adjust the carburetor. Here is a list of things that I have replaced or checked. I am stumped at this point and you all on here are super knowledgeable.

Has spark, getting fuel

These have been replaced within the last few months.
Carburetor
Sediment bowl
Plugs
Plug wires
Coil
Distributor
Distributor cap
Ignition switch
Battery

Also getting fuel where? Has to be checked for flow out of the drain on the bottom of the carb. The first 8 seconds or so will be the initial empty of the carb bowl. Then it has to continue to flow at least a small stream and not slow to a dribble. Do not know if that tractor has one but many tractors have a fine screen in the fitting that screws in the carb that the fuel line connects to. If yours slow to a dribble checking for this is a worthwhile step. In the link is an example of one shown for an 8N.
Example strainer fitting

(quoted from post at 04:27:29 05/29/23)

What is the "carburetor adjust" that makes it run for 10 minutes?
I set the main jet at counter clockwise after lightly seating 1.25 turns. I lightly seat the idle mixture screw, then turn counter clockwise 1 full turn. I start the engine and adjust the idle mixture until the idling is smooth. Then I pull the throttle to 80% or so and adjust the main jet until it runs smooth. It takes forever for me to get it to this point but eventually when I do it runs for about 10 minutes. No smoke when it stalls, but after the fact I try to restart and its like I need to start over the adjustments to get it to start again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back