Wouldn't that unplug your coffee pot?

Goose

I hadn't used my M Farmall for a year and a half, since a year ago last fall. My heart surgery kept me from using it last year.

It's parked about 100' from my shop with a sickle bar mower on it, and over time one rear tire went flat. Yesterday I strung an air hose out to it and started to air up the tire. As soon as pressure started to build up, a big bubble erupted--in the metal part of the wheel rim. It's too big an area, and in a bad location to try to patch it, so I'll go shopping for another rim. The tires don't have fluid in them, now, but they obviously did at one time.

Northeast Tractor Parts in Lyons, Nebraska will probably have one, but it's about 100 miles up there from here. I'll see if I can find one closer. What's life without a few surprises?

(quoted from post at 17:38:18 03/31/23) I hadn't used my M Farmall for a year and a half, since a year ago last fall. My heart surgery kept me from using it last year.

It's parked about 100' from my shop with a sickle bar mower on it, and over time one rear tire went flat. Yesterday I strung an air hose out to it and started to air up the tire. As soon as pressure started to build up, a big bubble erupted--in the metal part of the wheel rim. It's too big an area, and in a bad location to try to patch it, so I'll go shopping for another rim. The tires don't have fluid in them, now, but they obviously did at one time.

Northeast Tractor Parts in Lyons, Nebraska will probably have one, but it's about 100 miles up there from here. I'll see if I can find one closer. What's life without a few surprises?
welded a patch over bad spot on this one and on my SMTA, the rusted place was over a curve, so I cut it out and formed a curved piece and welded it in. Would be easy if had another bad wheel to cut a piece out of.
QDmD9cU.jpg

I did.

The guy said they had some wheel rims in storage but he didn't think they had one for an M.

Actually, this is an area about 8 inches in diameter and extends from the center of the rim out to the bead.

I've fixed rims before with smaller issues, but this appears to be beyond saving. If I could find a section of a rim to weld in, I'd have to call our local Coop to pull the tire off the rim, and then call them back to put the tire back on after I had the rim fixed. I might as well just go for another good rim.

I fixed one on my M last summer. You can save some money by doing the dismounting and mounting yourself, (IF) your able. Those on farm tire service calls are kind of getting expensive.

I removed rim and tire, layed it flat on the ground, used some wood planks to drive up on using another tractor to break the beads. This would save you some money even if you replaced the rim but salvaged the tire.

All I was out fixing mine was, the cost of a new tube, and the welders bill for fixing the rim. My rim was fixable. And some rattle can paint. I cleaned up the rim, and painted it inside and out before remounting the tire.

There is a guy down in Hickman, just south of Lincoln that would have some wheels and rims to choose from. Looks like right now you can buy a complete M for 350.00 or the just the rears for 500.00. I may be wrong on his pricing as some of his ads say one price in the title and a different price in the ad itself. Either way I think he should be closer to you than Lyons is.

Is that on the east side of Highway 77 between Lincoln and Beatrice? I recall seeing a place there with a lot of old tractors sitting around.

Thanks for the tip, but Bridgeport is almost 400 miles from me. I'll keep it in mind, though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back