oldtimer-HT
New User
New member here! Proud new owner of an oldtimer YM1500 (when I can get it to start). The problem sounds identical to what member chuckyp ran into with his YM1500D last year so if he sees this post I would like his advice on what he did to correct the problem.
On rare occasions, the starter bendix engages the flywheel on the first attempt to start. It usually takes several attempts in order to get the bendix to engage. The starter motor spins ok and I hear the bendix grinding against the flywheel.
I removed the starter and it is very clean both externally and internally. A bench test indicates all the components are working properly and no abnormal wear or damage to the bendix teeth. (11 teeth). The solenoid snaps the bendix the full length of travel when voltage is applied to same. The starter bushing, on the flywheel end, is OK.
I see no damage to the flywheel teeth and the wear pattern on the flywheel teeth, left when the bendix engages the flywheel, indicate a full engagement of the bendix teeth to the flywheel teeth. There is a shiny area on the flywheel where the bendix has rubbed against same spot during it's attempt to engage but I see no burrs on the flywheel which would prohibite engagement.
There is a metal gasket of about 1/16th in. thickness that goes between the starter and bellhousing and it appears to be OK. I even tried loosening the starter mounting bolts slightly which provided no help.
Does the flywheel stop in the same position each time the motor is stopped?
Could the solenoid be weak? I've always thought they either work or they don't.
I am anxious to hear any suggestions members may offer and enjoy reading the posts of other members. This tractor seems to be in very good condition overall and I think it falls into the refurbished gray market category. The painter obviously had no sandpaper and paint has begun to peel around the edges. If the motor knocked when it was new as it does now, I'm surprised they were able to sell it! Hope that knocking is normal!
On rare occasions, the starter bendix engages the flywheel on the first attempt to start. It usually takes several attempts in order to get the bendix to engage. The starter motor spins ok and I hear the bendix grinding against the flywheel.
I removed the starter and it is very clean both externally and internally. A bench test indicates all the components are working properly and no abnormal wear or damage to the bendix teeth. (11 teeth). The solenoid snaps the bendix the full length of travel when voltage is applied to same. The starter bushing, on the flywheel end, is OK.
I see no damage to the flywheel teeth and the wear pattern on the flywheel teeth, left when the bendix engages the flywheel, indicate a full engagement of the bendix teeth to the flywheel teeth. There is a shiny area on the flywheel where the bendix has rubbed against same spot during it's attempt to engage but I see no burrs on the flywheel which would prohibite engagement.
There is a metal gasket of about 1/16th in. thickness that goes between the starter and bellhousing and it appears to be OK. I even tried loosening the starter mounting bolts slightly which provided no help.
Does the flywheel stop in the same position each time the motor is stopped?
Could the solenoid be weak? I've always thought they either work or they don't.
I am anxious to hear any suggestions members may offer and enjoy reading the posts of other members. This tractor seems to be in very good condition overall and I think it falls into the refurbished gray market category. The painter obviously had no sandpaper and paint has begun to peel around the edges. If the motor knocked when it was new as it does now, I'm surprised they were able to sell it! Hope that knocking is normal!