YM 1510d Power Steering

Hi Folks and Greetings from Europe!

I'm a YM1510d owner and reading here for a while now. This is an awesome community and one of the most helpful boards I ever joined. Typically it goes like I have a problem with... and then it goes to ... your discription is not sufficient... to ... this is a job for professionals ...to ...that's not allowed and the topic is closed...!

You guys from Hoye and all the users are really helpful and I'm happy to joyn this community.

I would like to get your opinion and may be experience with a power steering on a YM 1510d. My tractor has a front end loader and a 3p. Unfortunately last week my steering box broke down. The shaft with the ball nut and the bearings are scrap. Of course, this part was 40 yrs old and I guess the work with the loader (equipped 1 year ago) was to heavy. Now it's quite expensive here in Germany ro rebuild the steering gearbox and I'm thinking about a power steering for this little tractor. But not like the Kit from Hoye with a hydraulic supported steering, I would like to remove the steering box and install an orbital valve instead and a hydraulic cylinder instead of the rod from the steering box to the knuckle.

Is anyone using such a configuration?
Is there enough hydraulic power for power steering, fel, 3p and the power shift with the standard hydraulic pump or must it be replaced.
And where did you connect the cylinder end to?

Would be nice to hear your opinions -may be also from hoye. If you guys have put a plenty of work on it to develop and came to the end it won't work, I don't have to "reinvent the wheel" <E>;-)</E> If this could work, I'm going to show you the built and result.

Thanks to all

Welcome to the community!

The 1510 will have plenty of hydraulic flow for what you are describing. We built a prototype system for a similar Yanmar several years ago and it worked nicely. The problem was it just got to where the sale price would be too expensive (orbital valves, proportioning valves, relief valves, and hoses, all got expensive) so we had to scrap the project.

Below was a teaser post about our progress at the time
http://ymowners.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&amp;t=7125

You can see a pretty good writeup from another Yanmar owner who made their own conversion below
<LINK_TEXT text="https://www.extern...ring-modification-project.619393/</LINK_TEXT>

The trick is going to be to set the power steering force low enough that you don't break the front axle or steering arms.

Aaron thanks for your reply.
Pretty interesting that you tried the same at Hoye. And the page from the other Yanmar owner is also full of information. He was facing the same problems, I do right now. All the cylinders are a little bit to long and I'm not sure where to mount the bracket. Does anybody know how long a cylinder stroke has to be to keep the full steering angle?

The other owner mentioned he would switch over to a smaler cylinder and that's what I also thought. I'm looking for a 1" bore, 8" stroke and 0,625 rod.
I did some calculations based on the existing steering box and I think there should be enough power in the smaller cylinder to move the wheels in the right direction and not breaking the steering arms.

May be a 6" stroke would also fit. I have to figure this out, but the tractor is not in the shop and we have snow outside... <E>:cry:</E> <E>:wink:</E>

Is there any idea how i could put the hydraulic rod together with a tie rod and keeping it as small as possible?

Sorry I do not know what the ideal stroke length would be. You should be able to get pretty close just by measuring the travel of your old steering box's pitman arm. You could always thread the end of the cylinder and screw a tie rod right onto the end of the cylinder to safe length. It would be a completely custom project so there will be lots of small challenges to work out.

For all who are interested in a power steering on a 1510d, I‘m still working on it. The metal work is nearly done and
I still have to do the hydraulic connections and put everything together.

I bought a cylinder with 32mm bore, 120mm stroke and 20mm rod. The connection rod comes from a beetle and is screwed into a threaded bushing which is welded on the
cylinder rod end.

The orbitrol valve and a priority valve will be located where the steering box was.

Here are the first pictures, I’ll show more details in the next days and weeks.

At the moment I’m waiting for the hydraulic connections.

Hope this will work properly with loader and 3p.

ATTACHMENT>
</s>1B0CE999-EED1-484A-AA3B-6E3ED57BB307.jpeg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

42232_97bf0de0cacde58ebf28aeb9a61236a8.jpeg

42232_fdc8e0f8aef17d3c9d6e39941eb7e143.jpeg

I’m having more trouble to upload the pictures then
updating the tractor. <E>:wink:</E> <E>:lol:</E>

<ATTACHMENT filename="7B82D99E-17E3-4B17-B5D7-0365DA65F6B4.jpeg" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>7B82D99E-17E3-4B17-B5D7-0365DA65F6B4.jpeg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT><ATTACHMENT filename="2F8B8B59-383C-4E35-8260-05D9EC6DAAF8.jpeg" index="1"><s>[attachment=1]</s>2F8B8B59-383C-4E35-8260-05D9EC6DAAF8.jpeg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

42232_e3cd4270a15e6090c3054962562c8f25.jpeg

42232_d564b6ec30b525c6915025691174c7c7.jpeg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back