Z134 crankshaft flanged center bearing shell & endpl

TMU58

I just got the crankshaft for my TO-35 / Z134 back from the shop.
The mains are now .020" under and I attempted to assemble it with the .020" over bearing shell kit, p.n. 830 639 M91. The center bearing shell has integral fixed flanges that control endplay. It appears that the oversize also applies to the endplay flange width. Bottom line is that the crank journals were ground .020", but not the endplay clearance, so it's .020" too tight to fit between the shell flanges.

Should the endplay dimension have been increased in the center main journal or is there a different bearing shell kit out there???

without looking it up I don't believe that there is a different bearing,the crank should
have been ground accordingly.

30 some years ago I majored a 283 Waukesha diesel in a 1650 Oliver and the thrust did
not get ground for that either from the Machine shop. What I opted to do was surface the
faces of the bearing by using a sheet of emery sand paper on a sheet of tempered glass (
could use a cold rolled plate of steel at least a 3/8 thick ) and use mineral spirits
or diesel fuel for lubrication and holding the bearing flat on the paper using circular
motion to surface the bearing width thinner. take the same amount off from both sides
on both halves until the desired end play is achieved. the customer is still using that
tractor with no engine issues .

Thank you!

I was just thinking the same thing. Was considering setting up the vertical mill for a light pass, but maybe just some wet or dry and a flat plate. I'll see how much needs to come off.

I have a bridgport also but I don't believe that I would attempt such a maneuver,I think it
would be difficult to secure and get accurate results, it took some time to do the way I
described but I was confident it was correct when I finished.

I also liked the idea that I wasn't increasing the crank journal width, as if the journal
is ground to fit the bearing and then the crank wears beyond the tolerance for the next
crank grind your kinda screwed.

It's not common practice to widen the thrust surface, but they would have if asked.

They might be willing to, but would probably come at extra cost and delay.

You could probably lap down the bearing, but sounds risky to me.

I think I would call the machine shop, see what they offer to do.

Thanks for your input. I ultimately decided to carefully reduce the insert faces with wet or dry sandpaper on a flat surface and got good results. A contributing factor for me is that the machine shop is 200 miles away so shipping costs and lost time were a big factor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back