135 Question

Three point stopped lifting on tractor so I decided to take my 135 diesel to the dealer. They said it was probably a bent linkage or bad control valve and estimated that it would be $300-500. Once there they found out the pump wasnt building pressure and asked if they could continue, I said yes. I get a call two days later saying the tractor is fixed and the control valve was bad, a $1,000 fix. Also put four new rings on hydrualic pump and gaskets. I didnt okay $1,000 worth of work and am very frustrated. Does this job normally cost this much? And also does the hydrualic pump need to be torn apart to replace the control valve? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan.

And dealers wonder why they lose business. There are too few honest dealers left in this country whether it be car, boat, motorcycle or tractor.

I don't know what the cost should have been but what they should have done was call you and tell you what it needed before proceeding, especially since they gave you the impression that the repair would be $300-500.
Now on the other hand, it is good that they checked it over that well and fixed what was wrong as a preventative measure so as not to cost you more money down the road for the other repairs.
What I hate is when you take your vehicle to the dealership for service, which generally means oil change, lube and check etc. and find out months/years later that something was worn out that they should have been checking. You can't assume anything I guess. I think it's better that they were more thorough with your tractor but again they should have called you and given you the choice before proceeding.

They did call him and he said "I need the tractor". Isn't that the same as saying, go ahead and fix it? That's the big question here.

Hi,
Don't pay it yet!!!!
There's something fishy here. If you say the 3-pt stopped working, was it instantly or could you see problems over a period of time?
If it was an instant failure then there is very little that could go wrong with the control valve or piston rings that would cause an instant failure. Bent internal linkage was certainly a strong possibility. If a ring was broken you would notice the 3-pt working with 'hiccups'. Just like a 4-cyl engine running on 3 cylinders. A worn control valve will certainly lose output but won't stop the 3-pt working. And will allow the linkage to fall quicker.
$1000 converts to about £617. The initial figure of $300-500 (£250-300) quoted would have been a fair price for removal of the lift cover and pump etc as long as there were no cab,loader or any other items to be removed. If your tractor has IPTO there would be more labour.
I don't have the MF price but as a guide a non-genuine control valve will cost about $40-50 (£25-30) and $3-4 each (£2). That's a hell of a jump!
I am concerned that if they have had to strip the pump to replace the rings that there has been no mention of checking the poppet valves in the chambers where the rings run...just like the valves in a cylinder head.
Seems like they are charging double for half a job.
Can you give us a breakdown on the parts used before you have to pay it?
Let us know.
DavidP, South Wales

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back