960 Headlights

showcrop

I am putting original freshly painted headlights on my 960 after a repaint last year. I don't have much hope for a good ground path through the paint. What has anyone done to get a good ground for these?

I am putting original freshly painted headlights on my 960 after a repaint last year. I don't have much hope for a good ground path through the paint. What has anyone done to get a good ground for these?
I ran a seperate dedicated ground wire on both my tractors headlights rather than relying on the mounting for ground. I didn't even have fresh paint but still wanted to ensure a good ground. Its not "original", but I commited the even bigger crime of converting to 12 volts so the dedicated ground wire was a minor infraction. :D

I ran a seperate dedicated ground wire on both my tractors headlights rather than relying on the mounting for ground. I didn't even have fresh paint but still wanted to ensure a good ground. Its not "original", but I commited the even bigger crime of converting to 12 volts so the dedicated ground wire was a minor infraction. :D
Did you run the ground from inside the housing through the 1/8 hole down the center of the bolt that the housing mounts on? or maybe a large ring terminal under the big nut inside the hood?

Did you run the ground from inside the housing through the 1/8 hole down the center of the bolt that the housing mounts on? or maybe a large ring terminal under the big nut inside the hood?
I ran it from inside the housing through the 1/8 hole down the center just like the power wire.

Have you considered the toothed lock washers that would bite through the paint?
I hadn't thought of that. I switched over to 14 gauge wire. After getting them wired I put the lights on for a few minutes and checked for any warmth in wires or connections and detected none. I had purchased the repop harness from Dennis carpenter. The insulation on it is very thick.

I hadn't thought of that. I switched over to 14 gauge wire. After getting them wired I put the lights on for a few minutes and checked for any warmth in wires or connections and detected none. I had purchased the repop harness from Dennis carpenter. The insulation on it is very thick.
Yes it seems to be good wiring. I bought the whole harness from Dennis Carpenter for my 950.
Dennis passed by the way, his son Daniel is running the business now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back