How to hand turn the starting motor

fatl844

My ford 8n front mount just clicks when I push the button. It worked before but was having trouble starting it. After a while it just started clicking when I push the button. I heard if it clicks then it probably isn't a solenoid issue, but it got stuck somehow when I tried to start it while it was spinning, something about the bendix? My questions is, I took off the housing for the motor to try and crank it by hand to getr the bendix in the right position. Where do I turn it?

Attachments

• 20240419_143918.jpg
    20240419_143918.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
My ford 8n front mount just clicks when I push the button. It worked before but was having trouble starting it. After a while it just started clicking when I push the button. I heard if it clicks then it probably isn't a solenoid issue, but it got stuck somehow when I tried to start it while it was spinning, something about the bendix? My questions is, I took off the housing for the motor to try and crank it by hand to getr the bendix in the right position. Where do I turn it?
I've never heard of anyone doing what you've done and (unless you have experience working on starters and generators) you are in for a fun time getting the armature back into the brush end of the starter.

You should have left the starter together and wiggled the drive end frame loose from the flywheel housing, this would have unstuck the drive from the flywheel.

Or, left the starter intact and simply ROCKED the tractor back and forth VIGOROUSLY in 4TH gear, which would have freed the starter drive from the ring gear.

I've never heard of anyone doing what you've done and (unless you have experience working on starters and generators) you are in for a fun time getting the armature back into the brush end of the starter.

You should have left the starter together and wiggled the drive end frame loose from the flywheel housing, this would have unstuck the drive from the flywheel.

Or, left the starter intact and simply ROCKED the tractor back and forth VIGOROUSLY in 4TH gear, which would have freed the starter drive from the ring gear.
Can you tell me what you mean by wiggle the drive end frame loose from the flywheel housing? Explain it like I'm an idiot, because I wiggled everything pretty good before I took anything all the way off and nothing happened. Which oart needs to be wiggled to get it unstuck? I did do the rocking back and forth in fourth gear thing. I tried to do that before anything else. I think I can put it back on pretty easy as is but I don't want to do anything else until I know where the flywheel is or which part to wiggled. Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what you mean by wiggle the drive end frame loose from the flywheel housing? Explain it like I'm an idiot, because I wiggled everything pretty good before I took anything all the way off and nothing happened. Which oart needs to be wiggled to get it unstuck? I did do the rocking back and forth in fourth gear thing. I tried to do that before anything else. I think I can put it back on pretty easy as is but I don't want to do anything else until I know where the flywheel is or which part to wiggled. Thanks.
The aluminum "drive end" of the starter assembly needs to come free of the flywheel housing.

Looking from the front of the tractor the engine crankshaft rotates CW and the starter armature turns CCW.

Put on some gloves and attempt to turn the stater armature reverse of normal rotation (CW) and see if it will free up and turn.

If you ever get that starter out and back together, take it to an auto supply and have it tested. If it tests O.K., then put it back on the tractor and charge the battery and clean the battery connections. The solenoid clicking is a sign of a dead battery or loose or contaminated battery connections.

If you ever get that starter out and back together, take it to an auto supply and have it tested. If it tests O.K., then put it back on the tractor and charge the battery and clean the battery connections. The solenoid clicking is a sign of a dead battery or loose or contaminated battery connections.
Been through that 3 or 4 times over 20 years. Just a click...nothing more. Removed all connections and cleaned them with a file and sand paper and that cures it. The last time my MF202 did that and I cleaned all the connections, it still did not start. Come to find out that the end of the ground cable from the battery had a loose connection to the frame. I could not see it because I had to remove the battery to get at it. Cleaned and tightened it up and it started right up.

That click almost always means a bad connection somewhere.

Yeah, did just what wore out said and it came unstuck. Was hell getting put back together but she's trying to start again. Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back