mbest

New User
I just acquired a 2440 what is the lever to Left of seat for??? has notches on it & a push button at end looks like there is some sort of shut off mechanism on it thx

I just acquired a 2440 what is the lever to Left of seat for??? has notches on it & a push button at end looks like there is some sort of shut off mechanism on it thx
Welcome to the forums.

You can download a free pdf copy of the Operator's manual for your 2440 from the John Deere Ag & Turf Bookstore. It can be saved to your computer, or other device, and viewed or printed when you need from there. It will answer many operation and control function questions, as well as provide the recommended service information. Here is a link to the bookstore.

John Deere Ag & Turf Bookstore

Click on Equipment Publications.

Type your tractor model in the search box. A drop-down list will appear, then click on your model number in the drop-down list, it will take you to the 2440 manuals available. It appears there are two choices due to a serial number break during the production run. Pick the one for the serial number range your tractor falls in. (- xxxxxx means that serial number and before. xxxxxx - means that serial number and above.) You will be looking for the Operator Manual. To the right of the title you will see the View on line icon (box with an arrow in it0and the download icon (down pointing arrow with a line under it). Click the download icon and a pdf copy will download to your device, which you can save.

The technical and other manuals are available there to purchase if you chose. You can use the parts catalog for free at jdparts.com, search using your model number (they are for viewing online, not downloadable, however you can print pages from them). Again, you will need to use your serial number as there are two choices. Pick the one for the serial number range your tractor falls in. Here is a link to the 2440 parts catalog choices.

2440 parts catalog choices.

Agree with others to get an operators manual. Be anware that there are two similar, but different versions of your 2440. 1976-79, and 1980-82. Check out tractordata.com for S/N break, and other details.

Agree with others to get an operators manual. Be anware that there are two similar, but different versions of your 2440. 1976-79, and 1980-82. Check out tractordata.com for S/N break, and other details.
He needs the serial number from his tractor, not Tractor Data to get the right manual at the JD Bookstore.

Correct. But some level of awareness that there are two different distinct versions of that model certainly helps. Don’t you think?
That is why I put in my post: "It appears there are two choices due to a serial number break during the production run. Pick the one for the serial number range your tractor falls in. (- xxxxxx means that serial number and before. xxxxxx - means that serial number and above.)" We view the value of the Tractor Data info in selecting the correct manual, differently at this point.

Correct. But some level of awareness that there are two different distinct versions of that model certainly helps. Don’t you think?
I agree with Steve in that 2440 below serial # 341,000 has metal battery cover & above SN 341,000 has fiberglass battery cover. This is sufficient information to get correct operators manual without knowing correct serial #.

I agree with Steve in that 2440 below serial # 341,000 has metal battery cover & above SN 341,000 has fiberglass battery cover. This is sufficient information to get correct operators manual without knowing correct serial #.
I agree and understand there are differences at the break, and it can be figured out if needed. But one has to know the difference in the battery box covers, or other changes, between the two to know the which side of the break it is. He just acquired the tractor. You, Steve, I, or others might know what to look for, a new owner might not. Which is the easier way for a new owner to find the right manuals at the JD bookstore, using the serial numbers they show, or comparing differences in parts books, to figure out which side of the break a tractor is from? From what I see Tractor Data just shows the years of the two which can give one the serial number break point shown on the bookstore, they don't list differences. How many times here has it turned out someone was sold a tractor as say a 1980 and by serial number it turns out to be something like a 1971? I just believe that the serial number, if available, is easiest and clearest to a new owner and the way to start. Right now, the biggest help I see from Tractor Data is the location and a picture of a serial number tag, info which I should have included in my original post. If he comes back and says the serial number tag is missing, then I am all on board that one needs to start looking for differences. JMHO

Here are pictures showing the side panels, battery cover, and dash differences in the two.

340999 and before.JPG341000 and after.jpg

Normally I would agree knowing serial # is essential to getting correct operators manual but not on a JD 2440. There's only 2 choices for manuals Steel or fiberglass battery cover determines correct operators manual required.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-24 154705.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 154705.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 4
Normally I would agree knowing serial # is essential to getting correct operators manual but not on a JD 2440. There's only 2 choices for manuals Steel or fiberglass battery cover determines correct operators manual required.
I am not saying you, or Steve in IL, are wrong, I understand what you both are saying. There are ways to tell the two apart without the serial number, if needed. Your years of work at a JD dealer provides you with insight to such differences which others, myself included, may not catch, and is extremely valuable info if the serial number is missing.

My point is when I gave him the info to find his manual at the bookstore, the serial number is what is used to designate the two tractors and their manuals at that website. I see the serial number, if it is available, as the easiest route find to the correct manuals at the bookstore. I admit I don't know the things that changed at the serial number break, and I didn't check the parts books to find differences or download and read both Operator's Manuals to compare them. I do not see a thing at the bookstore, or on Tractor Data, that tells which serial number group goes with which battery cover or how it relates to the info given for selecting the manuals at the bookstore. The serial number, if available, just seems to be the first and most direct route to the correct manual to me.

Hope things are moving forward towards hay season for you.
Best regards
Jim

I am not saying you, or Steve in IL, are wrong, I understand what you both are saying. There are ways to tell the two apart without the serial number, if needed. Your years of work at a JD dealer provides you with insight to such differences which others, myself included, may not catch, and is extremely valuable info if the serial number is missing.

My point is when I gave him the info to find his manual at the bookstore, the serial number is what is used to designate the two tractors and their manuals at that website. I see the serial number, if it is available, as the easiest route find to the correct manuals at the bookstore. I admit I don't know the things that changed at the serial number break, and I didn't check the parts books to find differences or download and read both Operator's Manuals to compare them. I do not see a thing at the bookstore, or on Tractor Data, that tells which serial number group goes with which battery cover or how it relates to the info given for selecting the manuals at the bookstore. The serial number, if available, just seems to be the first and most direct route to the correct manual to me.

Hope things are moving forward towards hay season for you.
Best regards
Jim
Guys… I agree with both of you. Serial number is the best method to identify your tractor. But what I was trying to make the OP keenly aware of is that in this case, as much as all 2440s might kinda appear the same, there are two very different tractors. Not only different Op manuals, but also different parts, different controls, different things to look out for, etc. As the owner of a first generation 2240,
I have repeatedly found it important to be certain I am referencing the “correct” tractor. My referral to Tractordata.com is really just as a reference to see the difference in the two versions.

Guys… I agree with both of you. Serial number is the best method to identify your tractor. But what I was trying to make the OP keenly aware of is that in this case, as much as all 2440s might kinda appear the same, there are two very different tractors. Not only different Op manuals, but also different parts, different controls, different things to look out for, etc. As the owner of a first generation 2240,
I have repeatedly found it important to be certain I am referencing the “correct” tractor. My referral to Tractordata.com is really just as a reference to see the difference in the two versions.
I apologize to you and Tx Jim if it sounds like I do not value what you fellows offered. I understand the two models and the need to be aware of them. I think we were all trying to reach the same result for him, but used different routes. Hopefully he has been able to download a manual and has a bit of insight as to things to look for on his 2440 from our discussions here.

No apology needed for me just call me ""hard headed"". As I stated earlier normally I agree 100% with what you were stating that ""tractor model & serial # is very important to get correct manuals or information"". But the model 2440 is very unique as there only 2 manual variations offered & 2440 have distinct tractor battery cover variations.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back