JD 38 Sickle Bar Mower mounting brackets

Hotflashjr

I recently bought a nice 38 sickle bar mower I plan to use this year to make some hay for a neighbor. I want to run this on my 1020 gas as it has hydraulics on it and the mower is set up with a cylinder.

The issue I am running into is the tractor side mounting bracket is from a Allis Chalmers they gave me, maybe a D15. I have bolted this to a 3pth hitch drawbar. Although I can level the mower out easily like this I am going to end up needing a 4 foot pto shaft and the mower is quite far behind the tractor. Based on the parts book I believe the cutter bar should only be a foot or so behidn the rear tire.

Any chance anyone has a set of 1020 mounting brackets for a 37, 38 or 39 they would sell or they could get some measurements for me?

I've seen 3pt mounting pins attached to a pipe inserted in mower mounting brackets then tractor 3pt is attached to 3pt draft links. I think pto shaft will require lengthening which isn't very difficult by adding longer tubing. Other option is purchase or build a drawbar extension similar to photo below.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-18 112330.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 112330.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 39
Thanks Jim!

The bracket I have consists of part #3 from the diagram you provided but it has a much different mounting plate. I am thinking I could cut that mounting plate off and then make the two extensions for the sides. It does look like the bracket would bolt to the drawbar center hole as one mounting point and the extensions stabilize everything. That might be a better option and keep the PTO shaft from being 5 feet long.

I recently bought a nice 38 sickle bar mower I plan to use this year to make some hay for a neighbor. I want to run this on my 1020 gas as it has hydraulics on it and the mower is set up with a cylinder.

The issue I am running into is the tractor side mounting bracket is from a Allis Chalmers they gave me, maybe a D15. I have bolted this to a 3pth hitch drawbar. Although I can level the mower out easily like this I am going to end up needing a 4 foot pto shaft and the mower is quite far behind the tractor. Based on the parts book I believe the cutter bar should only be a foot or so behidn the rear tire.

Any chance anyone has a set of 1020 mounting brackets for a 37, 38 or 39 they would sell or they could get some measurements for me?
I have a 38 sickle mower that I made 3 point quick hitch adapters for... like you said, I had to lengthen the pto shaft. I really like having it on the 3 point as I can change the angle of the mower arm just by raising or lowering the 3 point.

Attachments

• IMG_6456.JPG
    IMG_6456.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Thanks Jim!

The bracket I have consists of part #3 from the diagram you provided but it has a much different mounting plate. I am thinking I could cut that mounting plate off and then make the two extensions for the sides. It does look like the bracket would bolt to the drawbar center hole as one mounting point and the extensions stabilize everything. That might be a better option and keep the PTO shaft from being 5 feet long.
I took the bracket you have and added 2 blocks of steel that slid in my drawbar carrier beside my drawbar. I have holes drilled for both the 2510 and the 3020. Tom

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back