Safety Instructions For Paint Hardner Sold on This Side

I glanced over it. Do you realize this was put together in 1996 and last revised in 2000? Unless I missed something.
I’m friends with two people in the safety dept at PPG. I’m telling you what they told me
I use PPG with hardener from Finish Masters. They told me the only way to use a hardener was with a supplied air system and have ever since. My system has a hood that fits over the whole head and is fed fresh air. Also wear a suit and rubber gloves.

Last edited:
Y'all better get the facts with the new paints. I got a dose of COPD from shooting paint like Imron 45 years ago. It is not fun now. I still like the creative aspect of doing a nice paint job but can no longer even tolerate the smell of lacquer thinner. Makes me lose my breathe. I consider myself lucky, - I'm still alive and active. Do the research.

It appears that an organic vapor cartridge might remove iso's. But the largest problem from reading the material is that you do not know when the filtering capacity of the cartridge is all used up and you are breathing in the harmful vapors. A booth with good ventilation may give a user several hours. But a DIYer in his garage with a fan in the window could possibly overload the filter capacity in a much shorter time. The safest route therefore would be a supplied air system, a more risky route would be counting on the correct organic vapor cartridge mask. In my opinion. gobble

It appears that an organic vapor cartridge might remove iso's. But the largest problem from reading the material is that you do not know when the filtering capacity of the cartridge is all used up and you are breathing in the harmful vapors. A booth with good ventilation may give a user several hours. But a DIYer in his garage with a fan in the window could possibly overload the filter capacity in a much shorter time. The safest route therefore would be a supplied air system, a more risky route would be counting on the correct organic vapor cartridge mask. In my opinion. gobble
No one will disagree with you Tom, but some people still drive cars.

Use at least a mask and if you can do it outside with the mask. If you read the back find the right mask you can use it. They are even sold at harbor freight and will be in a vacuum sealed container...I still like to wait for a day that’s not windy and shoot it outside then pop it in to dry where it’s warm. It’s not perfect but it keeps your exposure down. I also store the hardner can in an infrequently used shed at my house not the main shop just to keep the exposure down I don’t like that my flammable cabinet has a permanent smell to it that means a few things have some leaks when we don’t think they do...

It appears t hat an organic vapor cartridge might remove iso's. But the largest problem from reading the material is that you do not know when the filtering capacity of the cartridge is all used up and you are breathing in the harmful vapors. A booth with good ventilation may give a user several hours. But a DIYer in his garage with a fan in the window could possibly overload the filter capacity in a much shorter time. The safest route therefore would be a supplied air system, a more risky route would be counting on the correct organic vapor cartridge mask. In my opinion. gobble
I never use the same cartridges for over 4 hours. If not in actual use the mask is in a plastic bag in the shop refrigerator.
Probably discard some with life still left, but don't want to take a chance.

Reducing the volume of spray droplets in your shop's air will help even more. HVLP gun only (or compliant gun) and lots of air movement. Don't have a booth, but two big fans!

And, if you can smell anything while spraying with the mask on, stop! then fix the leak or replace the cartridges. Facial hair is a no-no as no mask will fit correctly. Actually a full face mask rather than a mouth/nose only is better as the nasty stuff can actually be absorbed through your eyes.

I don't paint all that often, but have been doing it off and on for over 40 years. At 81, no ill effects yet.

A couple of years ago I got some advice from my Internist, also Chief of Staff at our local hospital and a casual friend of mine after I mentioned my restoration project and hardeners. My wife was also there as it was at a social event. When we got home that was the end of partial protection. Paint suit, gloves, full hood protection and supplied air.

He had a lot of expierence with paint and iso's and their medical effect. ISO’s enter the body right through the skin and especially through the eyeballs. Painting outdoors does not offer much better protection due to vapor blow back during the process.

i tried to explain it would only be one project, got quite the stare down from him.

A couple of years ago I got some advice from my Internist, also Chief of Staff at our local hospital and a casual friend of mine after I mentioned my restoration project and hardeners. My wife was also there as it was at a social event. When we got home that was the end of partial protection. Paint suit, gloves, full hood protection and supplied air.

He had a lot of expierence with paint and iso's and their medical effect. ISO’s enter the body right through the skin and especially through the eyeballs. Painting outdoors does not offer much better protection due to vapor blow back during the process.

i tried to explain it would only be one project, got quite the stare down from him.
Better trust the science….

It is very unclear whether an air supplied mask id required for isos on the 3M site I would use an outside air source which can be homemade too. Don't breath cyanide [which is what it is }

We are going over our Massey Harris 444 including a new paint job. Am planning to purchase the old Massey Harris Red from this site along with some hardner.
What are the safety precautions for the hardner sold by this site ?
Is a forced air mask required ?
Would appreciate hearing any experiences others have had, and any tips you would be willing to share.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Thank You !
I've been told that harder is very bad for you. I have some respiratory issues so I bought an air supply system. It works great. I put it on before I mix and take it off after my paint gun is clean and I never smell the paint. For the money this unit is excellent. Rather safe than sorry.
Breathecool II Supplied Air Respirator System w/tyvek hood
BC1TY25
Brand: Breathe-Cool
$429.99 USD​
Qty: 1​
$429.99 USD

Well, from my reading, all of this OSHA and NIOSHA rules and guidelines are for workers who spray for full shifts. I have not found anything yet that talks about someone who spends less than a couple hours once or twice a year spraying paint. Any exposure at the low levels that the hobbyists will experience in open air painting is minimal. Or the items would not be allowed to be sold to amateur painters. Just my opinion.

Well, from my reading, all of this OSHA and NIOSHA rules and guidelines are for workers who spray for full shifts. I have not found anything yet that talks about someone who spends less than a couple hours once or twice a year spraying paint. Any exposure at the low levels that the hobbyists will experience in open air painting is minimal. Or the items would not be allowed to be sold to amateur painters. Just my opinion.
Most of these paints and reducers etc. are labeled as for professional use only, so a hobbyist really should wear full protection. HOWEVER, we should all find where all auto body shops are in our respective areas and be sure to never drive past them during business hours, when their exhaust fans are pushing the air born paint out.

The hardeners are always iso based, as far as I know. Supplied air is close to a must have and money well spent. IF you don't have it, new cartridges every time you spray plus intense ventilation. The real problem with hobby use is the dosage itself; You have to get the air clear and do small enough batches of painting to not be swimming in it.

The hardeners are always iso based, as far as I know. Supplied air is close to a must have and money well spent. IF you don't have it, new cartridges every time you spray plus intense ventilation. The real problem with hobby use is the dosage itself; You have to get the air clear and do small enough batches of painting to not be swimming in it.
What does "dosage itself" mean?

What does "dosage itself" mean?
I don't know how to make it much more clear. Hobbyists don't typically have paint booths, and without serious thought put into ventilating the paint fumes out of a garage/shop, the concentration of those fumes becomes very high quickly so you're essentially "soaking" in them.

I don't know how to make it much more clear. Hobbyists don't typically have paint booths, and without serious thought put into ventilating the paint fumes out of a garage/shop, the concentration of those fumes becomes very high quickly so you're essentially "soaking" in them.
In other words it's not "low level exposure" in many cases. It's less frequent than someone using a paint booth in a professional setting, yes, but much much more concentrated and not necessarily an apples to apples comparison.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back