Shouler pain

Went to an orthopedist for the first time last month. My neck and shoulder were bothering me so badly. X-rayed me and I waited an hour for the doctor to talk to me. When he walked into the room I could see in his face a look I had seen before. When you look at a tractor that is just not worth spending the time and money to fix it. That's the look. He came in sat down and said he had looked at the X-Rays and he hesitated. I said it's all wore out. He said yes and I had a degenerative rotor cuff and there wasn't anything he could do to fix it. He did give me a shot and sent me on my way. I'm not planning on going back. Like an old tractor I get going every morning and work all day, not as fast and as hard as I use to but still worthwhile.
Ron

Anyone on here had shoulder surgery whenever I try to raise either arm out to the side to raise above my head or put my arm behind my back the pain is pretty bad to where I have to stop.i researched it some and most people that have it done still have pain after surgery just trying to get some information about it thanks Rick
Had similar issues with my left shoulder 11 years ago. Ortho Dr. said I needed surgery. Insurance said I needed physical therapy. After a month of physical therapy which made it worse, I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff and bone spur. Started physical therapy 10 days after surgery and was released after 1 month. Never been better.

I had 3 tendon partial tears and a bicep tear corrected with rotator cuff surgery, 3 years ago. After a couple of months of physical therapy and final release by surgeon, I've had no issues. This was preceded by two years of quarterly injections by an NP. An insurance change to a different provider finally referred to an ortho surgeon that got an MRI ordered, documenting the damage. Very happy with the results.

Anyone on here had shoulder surgery whenever I try to raise either arm out to the side to raise above my head or put my arm behind my back the pain is pretty bad to where I have to stop.i researched it some and most people that have it done still have pain after surgery just trying to get some information about it thanks Rick
Thanks for all the replies I'm going to do something down the road but for now I'll probably deal with it for a while.

For every person you talk to that had successful rotator cuff surgery you will find 3 that did not.
I would not have mine done again.

I had a similar issue last year, VERY bad shoulder pain if I raised (or put around back) my left shoulder and several buddies warned of their surgeries, rotator cuffs and replacements etc. etc. Sooooooooooo I go to Orthopedic Sports Doctor they took X Rays etc and told me I HAD ARTHRITIS and a bone spur NO SURGERY REQUIRED..I told them that's impossible that's for OLD people. Anyway they gave me an ultrasound and injected what looked like a 12 inch needle down the top of my shoulder to somewhere that injected some snake oil AND THE PAIN LEFT IN LIKE 2 DAYS. Its been 6 months now and the pain has returned, they told me I can get 4 shots a year if needed and I go next Tuesday.

D grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr but no rotator cuff or other surgery

John

I had a similar issue last year, VERY bad shoulder pain if I raised (or put around back) my left shoulder and several buddies warned of their surgeries, rotator cuffs and replacements etc. etc. Sooooooooooo I go to Orthopedic Sports Doctor they took X Rays etc and told me I HAD ARTHRITIS and a bone spur NO SURGERY REQUIRED..I told them that's impossible that's for OLD people. Anyway they gave me an ultrasound and injected what looked like a 12 inch needle down the top of my shoulder to somewhere that injected some snake oil AND THE PAIN LEFT IN LIKE 2 DAYS. Its been 6 months now and the pain has returned, they told me I can get 4 shots a year if needed and I go next Tuesday.

Darn Arthritis grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr but no rotator cuff or other surgery

John T
JT
Darn Arthritis is a witch.

I just had Regenerative Therapy done on my knee its new in the medical field
they took cells from my body fat and injected it in my knee
so far so good pain is 90 percent better. no more sleepless nights.
They can do it with knees , shoulders and hips.

Had the ortho surgery several years ago for torn rotator cuff and a torn bicep muscle. Fell off the back of flat bed truck feeding hay. Took several months of recovery and lots of PT but only after-math is limited motion overhead, behind back but mostly good. I can live with it. No pain unless I try to exceed limited motion. I am 81+ of age.

Last edited:
I have had rotator cuff repair on right shoulder {2013} and reverse {New shoulder 2017} in left shoulder . No pain at all. I have full motion in both shoulders. I am now going on 84 yrs old.

Old,
No surgery, but my right shoulder has hurt for the last 20 years. You name a topical cream, I've tried it. Nothing works all the time and some only work for a very short time.
Tylenol and tramadol helps. Old remedy, Castor oil and methanol cream.
My problem is caused by too many birthdays and swinging a hammer.
Warning, don't drink the castor oil. use it as a topical.
George,
Were you a framing carpenter back in the day hand driving nails 40 plus hours per week?

Vito

I messed up my shoulders pulling T posts out of the ground years ago. Couldn't raise my arms and in pain. Doctor gave me tramadol and started me on some weight training for my shoulders. Range of motion, etc. came back after a few months. Every once in a while I can pull on something wrong and tweak a shoulder but it only hurts for a few days.

I get medial branch block steroid shots on both sides of my spine for hip and leg pain. Usually works for 6 mos to a year. Now that they have established where the pain relief comes from, they are going to go in to the same spots and zap the nerves at my next visit to the VA. They said the ablation of the nerves will last a couple years then the nerve endings grow back. Then we repeat the procedure. There's a lot of people getting regular steroid injections for pain nowadays especially after they quit giving out some of the pain meds that people used to rely on.

I had similar issues as you describe in my right shoulder. I had it repaired by surgery in 2018 in Columbus Ohio. He removed about 1 cm of bone to create clearance and repaired the rotator cuff. There was one tendon torn from the bone and he repaired it using an artificial anchor. Physical therapy after is critical, takes several weeks, but ended up good as new. If I ever have issues on the left I would definitely do it again.

George,
Were you a framing carpenter back in the day hand driving nails 40 plus hours per week?

Vito
Vito,
It took me 5 years to build a new house around my old house doubling the square footage.
I did everything from the foundation to putting on the last shingle. I did the framing, plumbing, drywall,
electrical, floors, windows, doors and 25000 brick. I was a one man crew and had 2 kids to help.
I bought air nailers to help, framing nailer and roof nailer and trim nailer.
In my spare time I rebuilt 9 homes, 7 of which are rental homes.
Here is the worst home I rebuilt.
Saving my friends old barn was a challenge too
I'm too old to even consider roofing this house.
20211111_102950-1.jpg
20211226_152907.jpg
20210706_183337.jpg

Last edited:
I had similar issues as you describe in my right shoulder. I had it repaired by surgery in 2018 in Columbus Ohio. He removed about 1 cm of bone to create clearance and repaired the rotator cuff. There was one tendon torn from the bone and he repaired it using an artificial anchor. Physical therapy after is critical, takes several weeks, but ended up good as new. If I ever have issues on the left I would definitely do it again.
My rotator cuff was beyond repair. Three of the four were gone and I let it go too long, hence the reversal.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back