39 9N new toy

HardLuck7

Looking at what appears to be a 39, at this point I only have a few pics to go by. Has smooth axles, dog legs have no bolt holes, starter button is by gear shifter. Can't see if it's a smooth block yet. It's going to be a father/son project for my 14 year old. We're going to look at it this weekend and possibly buy. Wanted to sign up and get some input from you guys. Thanks for looking.
Screenshot_20240320_185835_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20240320_185826_Messenger.jpg

Noticed the wheels. Tall and skinny. Steering arms look like wedge bolt type and hopefully aren't welded at top. It still has some of the early features and is mostly complete. It runs and operates thankfully, he sent a short video.Will need a Marvel carb and a few other things right off the bat. Finding a 41 grille would probably be a goose chase.Always liked those. Once we see it in person I'll have more to go by and hopefully be able to pull the serial number from the block.We're just going to spruce it up and put it back the way it was for the most part by Finding the missing parts and painting it back gray.
Thanks for responding Kirk. I really appreciate your knowledge.

Looking at what appears to be a 39, at this point I only have a few pics to go by. Has smooth axles, dog legs have no bolt holes, starter button is by gear shifter. Can't see if it's a smooth block yet. It's going to be a father/son project for my 14 year old. We're going to look at it this weekend and possibly buy. Wanted to sign up and get some input from you guys. Thanks for looking.View attachment 63585View attachment 63586
Not an early '39- maybe a '40., Gear shifter was on dash panel w/early 39's. Also, riveted rear hubs not til '40. 32" Rears and Hat Rims OK. Double ribbed fenders and snap-in battery door were on a '39 too. Don't have a clue what you mean by a "smooth block". What is the engine block serial number? That can help but not a definitive identifier.

Tim Daley (MI

Don't know serial number yet Tim. Only have a few pics and a short video of it running. "Smooth block" is slang for no Welch plugs. It's about 50 miles away and we plan on looking/buying it this weekend. The smooth axles and 32" wheels make it appealing. It's going be my boy's first tractor and we're not going to extreme with it. Manuals, clean up, desludge, find the missing parts and paint,etc.
Appreciate everyone's knowledge
Thanks for responding.

Don't know serial number yet Tim. Only have a few pics and a short video of it running. "Smooth block" is slang for no Welch plugs. It's about 50 miles away and we plan on looking/buying it this weekend. The smooth axles and 32" wheels make it appealing. It's going be my boy's first tractor and we're not going to extreme with it. Manuals, clean up, desludge, find the missing parts and paint,etc.
Appreciate everyone's knowledge
Thanks for responding.
Yeah I have a whole list of features only on early 1939 9N's if you want. 4-Spoke Steering Wheel, Aluminum Horiz bar grille, brass SEDIMENT BULB Muffler Shield, Dash IGN Lamp, small GEN and VR, key switch on dash, to name a few. A 9N is a perfect starter project. Good luck and ask me any questions anytime. I have my grandfather's early 1939 9N I'm restoring to all original with all the correct original parts but health issues have put the job on hold now. Here's a picture of my brother and I on grandpa's tractor when I was about 2 or 3. He died the year before I was born so I never knew him. RIP John Thomas Sullivan.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• TIM & BRIAN ON GRANDPAS 1939 9N - 1959.jpg
    TIM & BRIAN ON GRANDPAS 1939 9N - 1959.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 38
Yeah I have a whole list of features only on early 1939 9N's if you want. 4-Spoke Steering Wheel, Aluminum Horiz bar grille, brass SEDIMENT BULB Muffler Shield, Dash IGN Lamp, small GEN and VR, key switch on dash, to name a few. A 9N is a perfect starter project. Good luck and ask me any questions anytime. I have my grandfather's early 1939 9N I'm restoring to all original with all the correct original parts but health issues have put the job on hold now. Here's a picture of my brother and I on grandpa's tractor when I was about 2 or 3. He died the year before I was born so I never knew him. RIP John Thomas Sullivan.

Tim Daley (MI)

Tim Daley (MI)
Really appreciate it. Obviously I found the right place.

Not sure if anyone above mentioned hinged battery cover. That would make it a 40 or 41. I have a six volt genny if you want to make it more original.

Not sure if anyone above mentioned hinged battery cover. That would make it a 40 or 41. I have a six volt genny if you want to make it more original.
Yes Sir. Definitely will be going back 6 volt. I'll know more after we look/get it this weekend.
Would definitely be interested in your genny.
Thank you.

Noticed the wheels. Tall and skinny. Steering arms look like wedge bolt type and hopefully aren't welded at top. It still has some of the early features and is mostly complete. It runs and operates thankfully, he sent a short video.Will need a Marvel carb and a few other things right off the bat. Finding a 41 grille would probably be a goose chase.Always liked those. Once we see it in person I'll have more to go by and hopefully be able to pull the serial number from the block.We're just going to spruce it up and put it back the way it was for the most part by Finding the missing parts and painting it back gray.
Thanks for responding Kirk. I really appreciate your knowledge.
I have 3 of the '41' grills in perfect condition if you end up needing one send me an email and mainly enjoy the project.

Harold - Is your GEN the original 9N-10000-A small 2-Wire/2-Brush unit or the 9N-10000-B next one with 1-Wire/3-Brush & HI-LO slider button? Either one I would be interested in buying it... EMAIL ME, I lost your addy

Tim Daley (MI)

Leaning towards a 41 grille. I'll know more this weekend. 6 volt genny and grille are the top 2 things to buy list. Thanks.
You can get a new 4-Spoke Steering Wheel repop at DC PARTS and new repop horizonal bar aluminum grille and doglegs at ROSEWOOD MACHINE & TOOL and all are pretty decent quality.

ALL FORDs used a 6V GEN so is moot but early 9N used two small 7 AMP models. Brass SED BULB?

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back