Recent content by B T Riordan

  1. B

    Gas stuff in carb?

    Thanks for the info. I use some 2-cycle oil in the gas now and then and don't drain the carb. Guess I'll keep doing it that way. AF70
  2. B

    Gas stuff in carb?

    About 30 years ago Dad had retired and the A was retired to dragging the road, mowing pasture and other light duty stuff. I hauled gas for it in 5 gallon tins, using "regular" until unleaded was the only thing available. We'd always shut off the fuel to stop it, then drained the carb. It had...
  3. B

    proper starting procedure for 70D

    It's been "awhile" since I've done this, but here goes. (I gotta go thru the whole thing or I might forget something.) You check that the pony tank is full and oil for both engines is OK. Open tank shutoff for pony. Move timing lever to start, turn on ignition and start, using choke as...
  4. B

    INSTALLING DISTRIBUTOR

    I'm going to make some assumptions here. 1st is that the tractor came with a dist and you're not putting one on a mag tractor. 2nd is that it's an electric start A with a full flywheel cover. Get the left hand cylinder at top dead center on compression stroke. There'll be a dot punched into...
  5. B

    governor

    There are a lot of things that can growl from there! The bearings (including fan front), bevel gears, weights loose, etc. First thing I'd do is get a mechanic's stethascope and see if you can narrow down at least generally where it's coming from. That might eliminate some things. You're...
  6. B

    Hydraulic cylinder on 45 loader

    I need advice on two things: First, should I soak the leather cups in anything before installation and, if so, what. Second, how tight should the bolts be that hold the cup assembly in place? Thanks!!!
  7. B

    John Deere A governor

    On our 47 A, one end of the cotter pin had to be cut off rather than bent back or it would occasionally catch. Same effect as the "big head" in the prior post. It was one of those things that the moon and stars had to be just right to happen. It evidently happened to Dad sometime, because he...
  8. B

    70 gas govorner

    I'd sure check the RPM of the engine 1st. You can get tachometers where you put a little piece of reflective tape on the edge of the clutch pulley and shine the do-dad on it to get a RPM reading. I was "sure" mine was slow until I got one of those things and it was "right on". My granddad had...
  9. B

    H with 31 loader

    Thanks! I've got the hose and plug. Any idea how much it will take to fill cylinders? Relieved it's no more than that!
  10. B

    H with 31 loader

    I drained the oil (and water) out of the pump on the 47 H. Put in 6 qts of non-detergent oil and now it won't lift the loader over 2 feet! So I thought I'd better check with you-all before I screwed up anything worse. Do I need to put in additional oil to compensate for the volume of the...
  11. B

    Hydraulics on 47 H

    I'm looking at a 47 H with a 31 loader. The plumbing looks home-made but well done. In a few places it oozes fluid and it looks like it's got water in it. I hope a kind soul out there will take pity on me and let me know 1)where you check the fluid level, 2) where do you put in the fluid, 3)...
  12. B

    H hydraulics

    A friend of mine has purchased a nice H with a loader. Very nice little rig, but . . .The loader sinks, takes 1-2 minutes to drop to ground from high as it will go. Although he"s been "red" all his life, he"s never had one with hydraulics. Nothing leaks from cylinders or anywhere else. Where...
  13. B

    Source for sediment bowl for 99

    I'm helping a friend with a 4-cylinder 1949 "99", not a Super. The sediment bowl has a lot of "issues". Is there a source for new bowls? This has the "ear" cast onto the top that attatches with two screws to an angle iron bolted to the block. Thanks!!
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top