100 pound propane tank question

fixerupper

I have a 100 pound propane tank that has a bleeder valve in the side of the main valve. I've been filling it from the big tank off of the liquid valve and while it fills I have the bleeder open. Does the bleeder bleed from the top of the tank or does it start shooting liquid when the tank is at 80%? The other day I walked away from it for awhile when it was filling and when I came back the bleeder was shooting liquid. I don't plan to use this tank again till summer and I don't want it popping off next summer if it's over-filled. This is a fairly new tank. Jim

Just open the bleeder till the liquid stops coming out, or put it on a scale and weigh it. The Tare weight is stamped on the tank like, T.W.65---65 &100# =165. that is the only way you really know what is in the tank.

Thanks. Now, how am I going to sneak Marilyn's bathroom scale out there and get away with it? LOL Jim

The ones with a bleeder valve (not all have it) have a small tube (connected to the valve) which sticks down into the tank about 10 or 12 inches; when the liquid reaches the bottom of the 'tube', I assume the pressure will force liquid out. I've taken bunches of 'em (tanks) aparat to make fish cookers; will post a picture later if I don't forget.

100 lb tank holds 100 lb when full propane is 4 lb a gal so 100 lb = 20 gal. and yes theres a small tube that runs from the valve down in side the tank about 8 to 10 inches .Bob

<a href="http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/thurlow8/?action=view&amp;current=propanetankvalve002.jpg" target="_blank">
propanetankvalve002.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

Water capacity on a 100# propane tank is 239 lbs filled to the brim. That's water, not propane. Stated and stamped in the tank as WC 239. Propane weighs very close to 4.25 lbs per gallon.

Filling a tank to 80% of liquid propane comes out to a close 100 lbs. Tare weight is stamped on the tank also and is usually 63 to 68 lbs for an empty tank. A full tank then weighs Tare weight (TW) plus 100 lbs and equals 24 gallon of liguid propane.

Mr. Thurlow, Thank you for that picture. It shows the dip tube clearly. That is the same type tube as in the larger tanks. Right length tube in the right diameter tank equals approximately 80%. Steve Norwood. Texarkana, Texas.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back