1086 alternator change over

fixerupper

For those of you who don't know this already, if you're tired of that dimestore Delco alternator on your 86 series tractors, and probably 66 series too, a Nippendenso (sp) will fit right on there for you. All you have to do is cut the wire going to the #2 terminal on the Delco alternator and run it to the live hot terminal on the alternator terminal going to the battery and leave the #1 wire like it is basically making it a 'one wire'. I've been through a basket full of Delcos on my 16000 hour 1086 so this fall when the bearing went out on the inside end of the armature on the Delco that was on there I went to my (gulp) Deere dealer and got a Nip for a 4440 and stuck it on the 1086. Cost? It's double what a Delco will run but I have a fair amount of confidence it will last me more than twice as long as the Delco, time will tell. If the Deere name on the tag bothers you your local automotive supplier can probably get you one that won't have Deere on it. I got this idea from a neighbor who got tired of replacing the Delcos on his two high houred 4630 Deeres so he put nips on both of them. End of the problems for them!

What was interesting was before I did this I called a local CIH dealer mechanic, whom I know pretty well to bounce this idea off of him. He'd never heard of putting a Nip on a 1086? Called another IH mechanic and he said "YEAH, BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO RE-WIRE THE TRACTOR"!
Cutting one wire and crimping a 1/4" eye on the end of it is 're-wiring'? Jim

The Denso alternator is a very good unit. I will say this though. If I was putting one on I would go for the model(I forget the number) that is used on a little later series, like maybe 55, as it is much easier to repair the simple parts of it. Don't have to solder terminals etc.

I even got a set of brush's from Deere and with a little changing, put them in my Denso on Dodge Caravan. Can you believe that, a Dodge uses near identical alternator John Deere did. Only difference was Dodge used the power train computer for regulation instead of internal in alternator.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back