300 u 6 to 12 v conversion update problem

Unfortunately yes the light is on all of the time. While I've started the tractor 3 or 4 times it's only run less than a minute if that makes any difference. I'm taking it out of the garage tomorrow I'll run it for ten minutes or so and see what happens. If the light is not supposed to be on all of the time, what is the problem and solution.

By the way, both the F and A wires that began at the old generator are not connected or removed. They are currently taped off if that makes any difference. One difficulty has been that the existing wiring is still in the old conduit so I can't necessarily see where a wire begins and ends. Thanks!
I assume it is not on when the tractor is shut off. If the lamp is glowing full brightness, it may just be the wrong Ohms to shut down correctly. If the alternator is putting out 14.2 to 14.5 volts all is well. (I would ignore it) Jim

Unfortunately yes the light is on all of the time. While I've started the tractor 3 or 4 times it's only run less than a minute if that makes any difference. I'm taking it out of the garage tomorrow I'll run it for ten minutes or so and see what happens. If the light is not supposed to be on all of the time, what is the problem and solution.

By the way, both the F and A wires that began at the old generator are not connected or removed. They are currently taped off if that makes any difference. One difficulty has been that the existing wiring is still in the old conduit so I can't necessarily see where a wire begins and ends. Thanks!
…what is the problem and solution..
For one I am only personally experienced with Delco 10si internally regulated alternators. It is my understanding that the Hitachi unit you have should act like the Delco but I am not 100% certain on that. First I would disconnect the “L” terminal and see if it will charge without it, just as a shot in the dark. Second I would test for a draw on the battery. Disconnect the negative battery cable and connect your meter or test light between it and the negative battery post. You should get no volt reading or the light should not light. If it does show a reading or light the light disconnect the L and S terminals and see if it goes away. Either way if this is happening we will have to investigate that further as that means there is a possibility your battery could be drawn down while the tractor sets. Third, since you are not using the lamp as a warning device up by the dash I personally would buy a diode and install that instead, it is a much cleaner install.

For one I am only personally experienced with Delco 10si internally regulated alternators. It is my understanding that the Hitachi unit you have should act like the Delco but I am not 100% certain on that. First I would disconnect the “L” terminal and see if it will charge without it, just as a shot in the dark. Second I would test for a draw on the battery. Disconnect the negative battery cable and connect your meter or test light between it and the negative battery post. You should get no volt reading or the light should not light. If it does show a reading or light the light disconnect the L and S terminals and see if it goes away. Either way if this is happening we will have to investigate that further as that means there is a possibility your battery could be drawn down while the tractor sets. Third, since you are not using the lamp as a warning device up by the dash I personally would buy a diode and install that instead, it is a much cleaner install.
Can I say something with getting my head chopped off I may not be following this conversation correctly. the lamp is connected to the point side of the coil in both pictures. the lamp should be on the side coming from the switch unless there is a third picture of the coil that I haven’t seen. I still don’t think set up is correct. When you turn the switch on the lamp comes on and when the alternator starts charging the light should go out is that not correct?

Is the light on all the time even when shut off? if so that needs to be fixed! The L connection we ase speaking of is to be on the Switch side of the coil, not the distributor side. Jim

Can I say something with getting my head chopped off I may not be following this conversation correctly. the lamp is connected to the point side of the coil in both pictures. the lamp should be on the side coming from the switch unless there is a third picture of the coil that I haven’t seen. I still don’t think set up is correct. When you turn the switch on the lamp comes on and when the alternator starts charging the light should go out is that not correct?
Terry, that was observed and he corrected it. Does something give you an indication that there are “head biters” lurking in this post? If you would categorize me as such please let me know, my skin is thick. Also, my objective would be to change my ways so I would not be perceived in that way.

Last edited:
Terry, that was observed and he corrected it. Does something give you an indication that there are “head biters” lurking in this post? If you would categorize me as such please let me know, my skin is
Terry, that was observed and he corrected it. Does something give you an indication that there are “head biters” lurking in this post? If you would categorize me as such please let me know, my skin is thick. Also, my objective would be to change my ways so I would not be perceived in that way.
Ok the post was kinda hard to follow for me. And naw man that wasn’t toward you. They’re a lot of people just can’t stand anyone to disagree with “ their” diagnostics And in a lot of cases become keyboard cowboys you have a good evening

For one I am only personally experienced with Delco 10si internally regulated alternators. It is my understanding that the Hitachi unit you have should act like the Delco but I am not 100% certain on that. First I would disconnect the “L” terminal and see if it will charge without it, just as a shot in the dark. Second I would test for a draw on the battery. Disconnect the negative battery cable and connect your meter or test light between it and the negative battery post. You should get no volt reading or the light should not light. If it does show a reading or light the light disconnect the L and S terminals and see if it goes away. Either way if this is happening we will have to investigate that further as that means there is a possibility your battery could be drawn down while the tractor sets. Third, since you are not using the lamp as a warning device up by the dash I personally would buy a diode and install that instead, it is a much cleaner install. Used Red MN

Used Red MN. The light is only on when the tractor is running. Jim N explains that in his previous post. Having like familiarity with wiring, is say there is a different process for the Hitachi alternator then the Delco. for If the battery isn't drawing down and the system is working I will probably leave it be. Thank you as always for responding to the question. Paul

Ok the post was kinda hard to follow for me. And naw man that wasn’t toward you. They’re a lot of people just can’t stand anyone to disagree with “ their” diagnostics And in a lot of cases become keyboard cowboys you have a good evening
TN terry. Thanks for the input here and in your previous post. As I said to used Red MN I think the difference may be that the Hitachi alternator may be set up differently then the Delco. I'm the least experienced but that's my take after reviewing many posts. I will keep everyone posted should there be an issue. Thanks Paul

Is the light on all the time even when shut off? if so that needs to be fixed! The L connection we ase speaking of is to be on the Switch side of the coil, not the distributor side. Jim
Jim. The light is only on when the tractor is running. As I stated above, based on what I've read the Hitachi procedure sounds different then the Delco. That may be the cause for confusion. Thanks again. Paul

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back