11 amp vs 20 amp 8N generator

How can I tell if I am looking at an 11 amp or 20 amp rated generator. If I am looking for a replacement I want a 20 version which is similar to the one I have.

I have my genny being tested as we speak and I anticipate bad news.

(quoted from post at 08:14:12 08/28/14) How can I tell if I am looking at an 11 amp or 20 amp rated generator. If I am looking for a replacement I want a 20 version which is similar to the one I have.

I have my genny being tested as we speak and I anticipate bad news.
asiest external visual is that the 20A 8N10000B will NOT have the 3rd brush adjuster screw.

So JMOR, I dont mean to be a PITA but just got a call from my mechanic and my genny is DOA. The armature is shot and was already rebuilt once before.
Can I assume that any 3 lug generator without the rear adjustment screw is a 20 amp. I thought that some that had the adjustment screw were converted to 2 brush rendering the adj screw useless.

I need to get a replacement and down hear in NYC, no one knows what the heck a generator is any more let alone find me one similar to what I have.

He found one that is a neg ground, no pulley 35 amp which I found odd.

If anyone has one that they want to sell. I would be much obliged!

(quoted from post at 10:37:15 08/28/14)
So JMOR, I dont mean to be a PITA but just got a call from my mechanic and my genny is DOA. The armature is shot and was already rebuilt once before.
Can I assume that any 3 lug generator without the rear adjustment screw is a 20 amp. I thought that some that had the adjustment screw were converted to 2 brush rendering the adj screw useless.

I need to get a replacement and down hear in NYC, no one knows what the heck a generator is any more let alone find me one similar to what I have.

He found one that is a neg ground, no pulley 35 amp which I found odd.

If anyone has one that they want to sell. I would be much obliged!
es, the third brush removal mod did render the adj screw useless, but the screw/hole would still be there, just not functional as there is no longer a 3rd brush to adjust/move. After mod output is really an unknown, as the best that can be found is that the "procedure will materially increase the output". I say that it was likely somewhere between the 8N1000A's 11.5A and the later 8N1000B's output of 20A.
Generators are not typically 'neg' or 'pos' ground as are alternators. Gen output will be based on how polarized & easily changed. 35A for early Ford gens would be "unknown"?

front or side mount?

napa and tsc can get you a genny.

I see the front mount genny listed on this site as well. you will have to pay the core since yours is bad. etc.

Soundguy thanks.

I have a front mount distributor if that is what you are asking.
Or.... my genny mounts on the right front near the distributor if that's what your asking.

What would be the difference between the two? (always trying to learn)
I looked all over Napa site but could not find anything.Would you have a Napa p/n?

(quoted from post at 11:38:23 08/28/14) Soundguy thanks.

I have a front mount distributor if that is what you are asking.
Or.... my genny mounts on the right front near the distributor if that's what your asking.

What would be the difference between the two? (always trying to learn)
I looked all over Napa site but could not find anything.Would you have a Napa p/n?

If you arent in an immediate need for the tractor, start looking on ebay. I scored 2 20 amp gennys for front mount Ns off there. Both worked and I beleive i paid under $100 for both.

As was already said, easiest identifier to the later 20 amp genny is no adjustment screw in the rear. Also I *think* they have a slightly larger case. and the original ones I saw (and both i bought) the 20 amp genny was painted red, and the 11 amp was gray.

for the front mount, the genny has brackets mounted on it. 8n side mount geny is bbl only and uses a sadle mount.

For napa you need to go in the store and make their lazy buts pick up their ag application book.

from there you can get starter, genny, vreg, water pump, manifold.. etc..e tc..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back