1240 JD planter

JD should be able to get you a manual no problem,is it plastic plates?If it is,you can get new ones from Lustran,maybe incorrect spelling,but they make new ones for that planter,fairly cheap too.
 
Go to JDparts.com. On the left hand side find Start Searching Here! Underneath that click on John Deere Parts Catalog. It will take you to another screen where you can enter your model number. I tried it, and it does bring something up for your planter. I think it is just a parts breakdown and not a full manual. Sorry, can't link to it directly. It is a plateless planter as well. From there you can download the file to your comp or print it. Good luck.
JD Parts Catalog Search
 
The 1240 series is plate less. All you do is set the population by the gear sprockets.
More work to keep the corn side working good.
Ive used a 1280 for beans & a 1240 for corn for years.
I plant 30" beans & 36" Corn, Goes fast for Beans.
Its a simple bean planter.
But I have 3 - 8 row for parts, 25 to 50 $ at sales. The parts are the same on the 4-6-8 row
units.
For the corn the meck has to be cleaned & fingers & springs have to be checked, There is a S.S. wear strip that should be taken out & clean the housing good & replace the SS strip.
It also has to be pushed out to to housing befor the bolt is tightened down,Or the fingers will catch it.
If you use the same planter for beans & corn make sure you clean out the sead from them & disable the planter meck for the seeding part your not going to use or you will plant both corn & beans for awhile.
 
They made the 1240 both plate and plateless. I have a plate type 1240. The main difference from a 494A is the 1240 doesn't have a gear box, just sprockets.
 
Erik, if you can't find bean plates you can use corn plates to plant beans. Use a medium round corn plate and it will drop two beans per cell instead of one corn kernel. Set the planter for the population you want (you will double what the chart says) and you will have a pretty accurate metering device. I did this years ago and it worked fine. I used a plastic B1 plate. Hope this helps. Mike
 
The 494A did NOT have a gearbox, just the sprockets. The rest of the planter used the same seed boxes and plates as the 494-494A
 
I've bought a lot of planters the last few years and made them into 1 & 2 row planters. The 1240 came both ways "plate type and plate less".

Some of the parts were not interchangeable from the 1240 plate type to the old 694A even though they looked the same, but the parts were very close.
 
Eric,

How many seed plates do you need? I have a few? Log onto
lincolnagproducts.com they sell new ones for $11 each. Shipping use to be $9 if you bought one seed plate or 10.
You can usually get a good buy on plates on ebay.
John
lincolnagproducts.com
 
Thanks for all the guidance guys, it really gives me a good idea and how to the old girl ready, I just picked it up at an auction this fall and plan to put in beans and milo with it this spring.
 
Our 495A sure does, and I've got a manual that covers both the 494A and 495A- Setup instructions are the same for both so the 494A must have had a gearbox.

Donovan from Wisconsin
 
A few of the very early 494A planters did have a gear box but most and all the later had the sprocket setup. Mine is supposed to be a 69 model and it has the larger fertilizer boxes where the earlyer planters had the small fertilizer boxes of the 494. As of now I have setting here 4 of the 290 planters and in 4 row a 450, 2 490's, 3 494's and the 494A. That 450 is the first 4 row planter Deere made back in the 30's followed by the 490 in the 40's up till 1956 and the 494 came out in 1957 with the first year being a lot different than the 1958 and up 494
 
Erik, if you can't find bean plates you can use corn plates to plant beans. Use a medium round corn plate and it will drop two beans per cell instead of one corn kernel. Set the planter for the population you want (you will double what the chart says) and you will have a pretty accurate metering device. I did this years ago and it worked fine. I used a plastic B1 plate. Hope this helps. Mike
Mike. Any chance you remember what the sprocket set up was?
 
I need an operators manual, and could use bean plates and corn plates if anyone knows of some, thanks, Erik
I own a plate 1240 planter. I kept it after buying my 7000 as a back up as on mine I can convert to narrow rows by moving the wheel brackets if I wanted to. The JD steel plates I have say H1555 on them I don't know what the plastic number would be. If I remember right there are 3 different size bean plates. Sorry but my owners manual was loaned out and hasn't been returned. They are a good planter.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top