12v ground connection gets warm

robertIL

New User
I have a 9n that has been converted to 12 volts, with the negative terminal going to ground. The other day when attempting to start it, I noticed the area where the negative battery cable connects to the cowling was warm. Not the resistor or amp meter area, but where the cable is bolted to the tractor.

The engine turns over fine, but I'm not able to start it and my spark seems weak. I'm not sure if the inability to start is related to the problem.

Generally, I think of heat in my wiring as a bad thing, and wondering what's going on.

Heat is usually caused by loose connections. When the tractor was new that was a good grounding point. But as the years go by the connections from the dash panel to the rest of the tractor get compromised. What a lot of the guys do, is run a ground cable to the starter mounting bolt.

If that doesn't help with the starting or weak spark, come back and let us know.

Heat is caused by a POOR connection. It could be tight to the point of excessive and still be poor. Connections need to not be just tight, but clean shiny and tight.

I have a 9n that has been converted to 12 volts, with the negative terminal going to ground. The other day when attempting to start it, I noticed the area where the negative battery cable connects to the cowling was warm. Not the resistor or amp meter area, but where the cable is bolted to the tractor.

The engine turns over fine, but I'm not able to start it and my spark seems weak. I'm not sure if the inability to start is related to the problem.

Generally, I think of heat in my wiring as a bad thing, and wondering what's going on.
Heat is caused by resistance which means a poor connection or a dirty connection or a cable going bad or a higher amp draw from the starter then it should be

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back