1750 Flat Repair

pcrh

Hi:

One rear tire went flat. Being creative I got the bead to release to get at the tube. The tube was stuck to the rim and to the tire. Looks like in a previous life this tire had calcium and the rim and inner tire were soaked and no cleanup was performed. That was a challenge to peal the tube off both without ripping the tube. I found the puncture and repaired it.

Now the question is should I clean off the rust from the tube and how? The rust flakes are stuck to the tube. Both on the inner side and on the outer (top) side of the tube. Then the question becomes how to clean the rim?

Thanks for your thoughts

Take the tire off of the rim and clean it up , wash it good , paint it and then remount. I don't like fixing rear flats, so I replace the tube 95% of the time.

Hi:

So your suggesting to just scrap the tube. I do not see how paint will hold the rusty chunks in place.

I change my own rear tractor tires so I don't have that expense. I feel a patched older tube will last longer than the standard tractor tubes you get now. If I put in a new tube it is a heavy duty or good name brand. Steve.

Hi:

So your suggesting to just scrap the tube. I do not see how paint will hold the rusty chunks in place.
I would use a needle scaler (needle gun) to clean the heavy rust off the rim, then wire brush it. Weld build up if it has thin spots or holes. Wash it and dry it, then paint.

I would get a good quality heavy-duty tube and replace the old one

Last time I had a leak on a rear I pumped it way up, put on my snow suit and drove it into town (all 25 miles). By the time the poor tire guy got the tube out I figured that it was so stretched from being glued to the rim it would be too risky to reuse it. The tire shop scraped the rim and put on a good coat of that waxy yellow stuff they use and I paid for a new tube. Now it should be good for at least 20 years. They have the tools, a big enough compressor to use the tools and I got to drink free coffee, read car magazines and BS with every other white haired old fart that came by that afternoon.

Hi:

Thanks for the ideas. I like the needle scaler (needle gun). I can see where that would really simplify cleaning the rim but not so much for the tube. If I knew I would do more rust removal I would get one. I remember in my earlier day repairing large truck tires and they all had liners. I think that is the method of repair for me.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back