18.4 x 34 size rear tires?

Can I mount some 18.4 x 34's rear tires on these Rims on my 1973 Allis Chalmers 185 that came stock with 18.4 x 28's

cvphoto961.jpg

cvphoto962.jpg

You need 34 inch rims.An 8 lug 34 inch rim is going to be hard to find as most 34 inch rims were 9 lug pattern.Probably some tractors had them but can't think of any right now.Always could get 34 inch rims and weld in 8 lug centers.A lot of people put 30" rims the 8 lug 30" are pretty easy to come by.

All of the 185's around here had 18.4x30 tires. Even some late 180's also. Very rarely, you might find 15.5x38, but 18.4x30 is still better. You would need the wheel/centers. There's undoubtedly some on a junk tractor somewhere. New rims are available. Wheels from a 6060 will fit, so I assume 6070 will work also. 6070 tractors had 16.9x34 tires, which might be an interesting size for you, but so few of those tractors were made, I doubt you'd ever find a junk one.

Many models of MF and Ford had 8-bolt wheels that will fit an A-C. Early 185's had regular tapered head wheel bolts threaded into the final drive hub. Later model 185's had a larger diameter tapered head bolt that was longer and required a locknut on the inside to retain it. I know of a couple that have had dual wheels modified to fit the 8 bolt mount to get 18.4 x 34 tires on. Remember, your PTO and drawbar will be raised up quite a bit if you do this, so is that an issue ?? Also, having dual wheels modified, remember to check the offset to place the tire a certain distance from the fender. Looks to me like you have them set about as wide as they can go.

No. You will need to buy rims,and probably centers too.18.4x34 is too big of a tire for that tractor anyway. I understand about trying to save money.But your plan will in the long run cost more. Money,time and aggervation. So,just bit the bullet and do it right. Look for good used ones(they probably don't exist),or buy new.Some tire stores have a finance plan.I use one from time to time. 6 to 9 months interest free.

18.4-28 tire is 59.1 inches tall
18.4-34 tire is 65.1 inches tall, this tire will raise the back of the tractor 3 inches.
A more popular tire would be the 18.4-30 which is 61.1 inches tall, this would only raise the back of the tractor 1 inch.
Although 34" tires where used on a number of tractors one with proper wheel centers are difficult to find, I've searched for some to use on my tractors to raise the drawbar height.
30 inch wheels appear to be popular among all brands and the 18.4 tire works fine on a 15" wide wheel that had 16.9 tires.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back