1940 9N value

Dan Molargik

New User
Does anyone know the approximate value of a 1940 9N tractor located in Michigan. The serial number is 116965. It runs great.
Thanks!

Serial number 116965 would make it a 1943 2N. It could be that the rest of the tractor is a 1940 with a replacement engine. This would not
effect the value of a worker, but might put off a collector looking for a true 9N. What is the condition of the tires? Does the hydraulic lift
work properly? Steering tight? Brakes work? Is the tractor in question one you are looking to buy or sell?

Good evening, all: I want to say "mine, too" regarding engine change. My engine's serial number indicates a 1943 production, which would make the engine a 2N. However, most of the running gear casting numbers indicate the tractor is a 1941 build, so a model 9N. I personally know the transmission and differential assembly have been changed out with salvaged parts. I checked to be sure the replacements were correct 1941 production before having them installed. I had a welding shop restore my "hat" rims to maintain the originality. It is a hobby, and it goes on & on.......

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

We can't answer this questions because it all depends on several factors. Again, the Serial Number only ID's the engine block. Many engines were swapped out. Model
year is relatively insignificant on old N's unless it is an early 9N or early 8N you plan to restore to all original. Then, I'd get into it deeper. Otherwise, ALL 9N
and 2Ns model were basically the same after 1940 and s/n 12500 with a few revamps made along the way like generator, steering box, cooling, and a few more minor
changes. The other factors are how much is still original and how much has been changed. Is it still OEM 6V/POS GRN? Has it been switched over to 12V? Switched to EI?
Wired correctly? Condition of steering, tires, and hydraulics? Condition of engine? Cracks or welds? Worn, in need of a rebuild? Oil pressure is a good indicator. See
where I'm going? Fellas often mask problems with cracked blocks by applying a new paint job so as a buyer watch out for that. New paint doesn't make the machine run.
lastyl, the used tractor and implement market has been down for at least the past 20 years or so. I've bought N's for $800/$1200 and got them running for very little.
As a seller, you can list it as-is and avoid investing anything into it but it helps enormously if the tractor starts and runs when putting it up for sale. Look on CL
and fleabay to get ideas on prices. Watch these items and see if they are even selling. Just my advice...

Tim Daley(MI)

There are just too many factors to give you
an estimate with so little info.
You state it runs great. Does it smoke at
all? Is it 6V or 12V?
How are the tires? New? Okay? Poor or
mismatched?
Paint is good, average, never been painted
since it left the factory?
Gears quiet? Clutch smooth?
Does it have a Sherman aux transmission?
Brakes? No leaking rear axle seals which is
common?
Am picking these numbers out of thin air
here but maybe $2000 for a very good
running, ready to work N and up to $3500
for one that is exceptionally nice.

Tractor is a 1943 9N. I didnt pick the right year on the serial number chart. It is serial number 9N116965. It has been in the family since 1955. Thinking engine might have been rebuilt 40 years ago but dont remember for sure. All original engine and drive train. Has 6V/POS GRN with points. Starts in 2 seconds every time. No smoke. 40psi oil pressure. Good clutch. Smooth shifting 3 speed with a two speed shifter prior to transmission (6 total speeds). Brakes work but need adjusted. Front tires and right rear are in fair condition. Right rear is leaking some calcium at the valve stem. Left rear is older and more worn. No gear or hydraulic leaks. Steering is smooth. Never painted. Always inside. Loader with hydraulic bucket powered by PTO driven pump. Loader has no leaks and will stay up for weeks without sagging. Will attach pics shortly. Thanks everyone! Appreciate your feedback!

cvphoto131820.jpg

Technically, the ENGINE BLOCK s/n designates it as '43 but doesn't mean the entire tractor is same. The s/n was meant to coincide but since parts and blocks were swapped out a lot, maybe not. Besides, s/n doesn't mean squat really. A Picture is worth a thousand words... $800 to $1800 for a running 2N - a dime a dozen these days...

Tim Daley(MI)

An acquantance who works at a scrap yard told me,after seeing my good shape 9n that these tractors come
through the weigh scales on a regular basis. He said that many have good rubber,paint and that some are
driven off of the trailers,so some don't consider them worth much.

I should add that it would take some good money to get mine,as I have rebuilt [refurbished] almost the whole tractor. Your results may vary.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back