1941 R2 gas Cat governor

Yesterday I was using my R2 Cat to plow snow in northern Minnesota. It runs fine but the governor does not seem to open up under load. My question is on this vintage machine does the governor simply prevent the engine from over reving or is it supposed to open up and keep a constant engine speed? The engine seems under powered. The carb is clean and set to specs.

Thanks-

The governor should do as you suspect....maintaining the speed for which it is set. It's a typical fly weight type so something may be sticking or possible bearing problem. Unfortunately it resides under the front timing cover so no small job.

OM,

Tell me more about the location of the governor under the front timing cover. I have an original parts booklet printed in 1941 with all parts pictured. The timing cover seems to be in the open. I am somewhat familiar with governor operation so could I remove the cover and use some kind of solvent to free frozen parts or is it buried under a secondary cover?
Any more info you can offer is appreciated!

Thanks-

Close as I can get to details is from an R4 tractor which I believe is the same configuration.
Info says there is a smaller access cover for the governor on the main timing gear cover. This will give you access to the weight mechanism. The weights can be pryed to check for carburetor linkage movement.With the weights as far away as possible from the accessory shaft the carb air shutter lever screw should be against the stop on the carb. When you release the weights the carb. air shutter should move to the wide open position.
Anything beyond that requires removal of the timing gear cover for access.

OM,
One more question,is the governor shaft the same shaft that drives the magneto? I am 170 miles away from the R2 so I am using my short term memory and the parts booklet to imagine what things look like. It appears that the governor shaft has a gear on it not only to rotate the governor mechanism but possibly the mag too! Am I correct?

Thanks again!

That is correct. The drive gear that mounts the governor weights also drives the accessory shaft
that drives the magneto.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back