1946 AI: to fix or not and what practical use can they be?

DennisT

I've had a 1946 Farmall AI here for some time. Anti-freeze in one cylinder. I expect it needs an engine and I've talked about it before. I'm limited in my abilities so am thinking of taking it to a friend capable of either fixing the engine or handling installing a replacement. Tractor has rear belt pulley. Of course this is one of the very early models with no hydraulics. So I'd be limited to spring-assist attachments unless I can add hydraulics. It would be handy if it could run a belly blade or mower, (not sickle bar). Tractor is totally complete and straight right down to starting crank and all wheel weights. Needs rear tires. I'm thinking $500 to fix motor, (lucky), to $900, (unlucky). Rear tires new, 5 to 6 hundred. Could end up with more in it than a running later A would cost.
What are the best practical uses any of you see for an early A of this type? I'd like to enjoy some light use around our 5A place and I like old tractors in the first place. Thoughts? Thanks, Dennis in E WA state

The repairs are often more than the selling price. But the price of fixing it may be far less than a comparable much newer tractor. List the
bad, No Hydraulic, no live PTO, 3 work, gears needs 800+ tires, needs engine gone through 1000 (believe it). List positives, , pulls wagons,
pulls plows, can mow (need mower).
Were it my only, I would go for a Massy 135, International 300/350U, Oliver super 55/550, Ford 4000,
Reason: live PTO, more gears, hydraulics, flexible use. Jim

While it is not an AI but a number of years ago I built a BA. Took parts from 2 Bs and one A and built what I call a BA. Front half is for the most part a B and the rear from the transmission back is an A. I use it most every summer to cut hay with and spent 1.5 hours or so on it today. When I built ti I did it old school as in only used the new parts that I had to and reused many parts that most now days would have replaced like the head gasket. Yep reused a head gasket but I used a few tricks in doing so.
That all said if you have to pay some one to fix things well that can and will add up $$ fast.

The hard part is finding complete implements for the tractor. They are so complicated and have so many parts and have been setting in the weeds for so long that some crucial part is almost always missing, and replacement parts are virtually impossible to find.

A bare A/AI is good for pulling around a wagon, or a one-bottom mechanical lift trailer plow. Occasionally you can find some implements for them but not often. If you're handy you might be able to cobble up something to replace the missing parts.

I have a 47 here that has a Woods finish mower on
it with handle lift. It mows very well. I got the front
blade, plow, cultivators, mower, and something else
I can't remember when I traded for the tractor. I
really only use the front blade and the belly mower.
The plow is actually yard art. I don't mind the
mechanical lift for the mower - it's not that heavy
and it's handy from the driver's seat.

It's main job is running the grain and bale elevators
and that gets it lots of hours. I think you might use it
more than you think.

I have a 47 here that has a Woods finish mower on
it with handle lift. It mows very well. I got the front
blade, plow, cultivators, mower, and something else
I can't remember when I traded for the tractor. I
really only use the front blade and the belly mower.
The plow is actually yard art. I don't mind the
mechanical lift for the mower - it's not that heavy
and it's handy from the driver's seat.

It's main job is running the grain and bale elevators
and that gets it lots of hours. I think you might use it
more than you think.

Thanks everyone. This is a lot of help. I'm really on the fence with this one. I have a friend that would buy it and he's a good mechanic. As it is so complete, I'm guessing I could ask $500 for it and it would be fair. (Thoughts?) I wouldn't want to ask too much or be unfair. On the other hand, if all of you keep on making how-to-use-it suggestions, it might tip me over to seeing it as more valuable for myself. I DO think it is pretty interesting looking and I think it would be fun to have a purpose for driving it around our place. I used to collect John Deere tractors back in the late 1960's and '70's. Cheap then and I really liked them. I wouldn't even attempt to get into Deere stuff now with their values. (!)
So I'm still evaluating on my Farmall.
Dennis

(quoted from post at 17:44:53 06/09/16) Thanks everyone. This is a lot of help. I'm really on the fence with this one. I have a friend that would buy it and he's a good mechanic. As it is so complete, I'm guessing I could ask $500 for it and it would be fair. (Thoughts?) I wouldn't want to ask too much or be unfair. On the other hand, if all of you keep on making how-to-use-it suggestions, it might tip me over to seeing it as more valuable for myself. I DO think it is pretty interesting looking and I think it would be fun to have a purpose for driving it around our place. I used to collect John Deere tractors back in the late 1960's and '70's. Cheap then and I really liked them. I wouldn't even attempt to get into Deere stuff now with their values. (!)
So I'm still evaluating on my Farmall.
Dennis

Question for you. Would you consider a running farmall? I see there is one here in the Boi area for 750. I could take a look at it. Just a thought. I saw it on craigslist and it is not too far from me theoretically. http://boise.craigslist.org/grd/5609800846.html

(quoted from post at 21:31:03 06/08/16) The repairs are often more than the selling price. But the price of fixing it may be far less than a comparable much newer tractor. List the
bad, No Hydraulic, no live PTO, 3 work, gears needs 800+ tires, needs engine gone through 1000 (believe it). List positives, , pulls wagons,
pulls plows, can mow (need mower).
Were it my only, I would go for a Massy 135, International 300/350U, Oliver super 55/550, Ford 4000,
Reason: live PTO, more gears, hydraulics, flexible use. Jim
Add up the theoretical costs to fix and keep that number in mind. Look around CL and such for used tractors that would fit your bill. If after a month or so you really cannot find anything cheaper than your cost to repair, start that process

Thanks again everyone. I think I'll consider selling this Farmall as I have a neighbor that's interested and he's a really good mechanic. From comments here I've decided it would have very few, limited uses in any practical sense. OR, restored it would be a toy to take to Fairs, etc., and drive around where people would look at it and say how, "cute," it is. Then return it home where it would sit for months at a time except for pulling a yard cart, etc. Being so original and complete, I'm guessing it's worth 500 or 600 dollars as is. Maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately I really do like it and think it is a nice, compact, "toy," myself. But my age and resources are against me.
Dennis

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back