1952 Ford 8N Armature Stuck in Flywheel Housing

GWSBERY

New User
I recently inherited a 1952 Ford 8N. The problem I'm having is someone started to remove the starter and it currently has the two mounting bolts removed, the brush holder is dangling, the field windings is ready to slide off, but the armature is stuck in the flywheel housing and won't come out. Also the motor will not turn like it's frozen but I thing the armature is the reason why the motor acts frozen. Someone please give me some advice so I can restore her back to showroom condition. Have a long way to go.

If you are going to do a full restoration just split the tractor and avoid the extra hassle. Just a thought. Good luck.

Starter bendix sits behind the ring gear and engages from the rear
of the tractor toward the front when the starter button is pressed.
To get it out you have to tilt the starter slightly toward the engine block and
down a bit, then lift it up over the ring gear at about the 2 o'clock position.

The field windings is off and the armature is still stuck like it"s locked on by something. I"ve tried tapping it lightly with a hammer and no sign of wanting to come off. I think the Bendix is preventing the armature from coming out. Could the Bendix gear be locked into the flywheel keeping it from coming out?

Put the transmission in 4th gear and with a big helper rock the tractor back and forth hard as you can. Most of the time this will free up a stuck starter drive.

If that fails drive a chisel between the starter end plate and the clutch housing. Aiming toward the front of the tractor.

Zane

Thanks Zane, I'll give it a try.
I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. As I learn on this adventure I hope to help someone someday the way you all are helping me.

Thanks Zane, your trick worked. My wife helped me rock it back and forth in 4th gear. A chisel and hammer knocked it right out with a few hits from the hammer. My wife enjoys the tractor as much as I. After we restore this tractor I can see a Jubilee project down the road, but first I need to rebuild the starter and replace the wiring the cows chewed off.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back