Ford 8N Front Of Brush Hog Digging In. Can't Adjust

(quoted from post at 04:45:35 07/17/23)
mvphoto107593.png

Thanks! Bush Hog is a lot quieter them my old Ford rotary...

(quoted from post at 15:26:19 07/16/23)
Tractor Supply or other farm store should have them. A 3/4-inch bolt and nylon locknut will work as well.

A longer pin is not really required. As you can see in the picture below, I used large bolts in the built in lugs on the tractor to hook my limiter chains up. The picture is of my MF202 but my 8N has the same lugs on it.

xyBd5yH.jpg

(reply to post at 05:19:07 07/17/23)

I ordered the chains from Yesterday's tractor. And will pick up a pin from my local hardware store. Will post the results when I get them hooked up. Fingers crossed..

Some people may be wondering what those lugs on the tractor are for. Below you see the pin that is meant for those lugs. It's approx 10 1/2" long and it's articulated in the middle. The reason for that is because if it was solid, it would not fit between the fender and one of the lugs. When it's used, the middle lug keeps it secure so it can't bend.

When I purchased my MF202 I was lucky enough that it had this pin in it. I guess they are kind of scarce. Some may be wondering why I didn't use the pin to hook up my limiter chains, well I had completely forgotten that I had that pin. It was like ten years or so ago that I purchased that MF202. I don't know any place that one could get one of those pins now. I guess no one is making them any more.

K8jwCe5.jpg

Does anyone here know the actual part name of this pin or perhaps the part number of it?

This post was edited by Caryc on 07/17/2023 at 12:46 pm.

(quoted from post at 07:41:39 07/17/23) Some people may be wondering what those lugs on the tractor are for. Below you see the pin that is meant for those lugs. It's approx 10 1/2" long and it's articulated in the middle. The reason for that is because if it was solid, it would not fit between the fender and one of the lugs. When it's used, the middle lug keeps it secure so it can't bend.

When I purchased my MF202 I was lucky enough that it had this pin in it. I guess they are kind of scarce. Some may be wondering why I didn't use the pin to hook up my limiter chains, well I had completely forgotten that I had that pin. It was like ten years or so ago that I purchased that MF202. I don't know any place that one could get one of those pins now. I guess no one is making them any more.

K8jwCe5.jpg

Does anyone here know the actual part name of this pin or perhaps the part number of it?

nteresting puzzle. Key is to play with the image search until you find the best search terms. which turned out to be:
massey ferguson "hinged link pin"

It looks like:
Hinge Link Pin to fit: Massey Ferguson TE20, TEA20, TED20, TEF20, TO20
Replaces OEM Number: Massey Ferguson 4114
More UK and AU stores, in the US :
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ferguson-TO35_Top-Link-Pin-Hinged_180901M91.html $7.50. I think you are right that nobody makes them. YT must have a pile of new old stock at that price.
wm_180901M91.jpg

Some good pics in an old thread, which was where I found the part from YT:
(quoted from post at 11:30:25 01/06/13) Pin.
a95741.jpg

a95742.jpg

a95743.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:27:10 07/18/23)
(quoted from post at 07:41:39 07/17/23) Some people may be wondering what those lugs on the tractor are for. Below you see the pin that is meant for those lugs. It's approx 10 1/2" long and it's articulated in the middle. The reason for that is because if it was solid, it would not fit between the fender and one of the lugs. When it's used, the middle lug keeps it secure so it can't bend.

K8jwCe5.jpg

nteresting puzzle. Key is to play with the image search until you find the best search terms. which turned out to be:
massey ferguson "hinged link pin"

It looks like:
Hinge Link Pin to fit: Massey Ferguson TE20, TEA20, TED20, TEF20, TO20
Replaces OEM Number: Massey Ferguson 4114
More UK and AU stores, in the US :
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ferguson-TO35_Top-Link-Pin-Hinged_180901M91.html $7.50. I think you are right that nobody makes them. YT must have a pile of new old stock at that price.
wm_180901M91.jpg

Some good pics in an old thread, which was where I found the part from YT:
(quoted from post at 11:30:25 01/06/13) Pin.
a95741.jpg

a95742.jpg

a95743.jpg
/quote]

Wow, thanks Dave! Even though I don't use the pin I have now, I went ahead and ordered another one from YT just so I'd have one for both my tractors. It kind of irks a bit to pay $14.99 shipping for a $7.50 part but like I said where else is there to get one? For $14.99, it should be here tomorrow morning.

(quoted from post at 12:17:37 07/18/23) Wow, thanks Dave! Even though I don't use the pin I have now, I went ahead and ordered another one from YT just so I'd have one for both my tractors. It kind of irks a bit to pay $14.99 shipping for a $7.50 part but like I said where else is there to get one? For $14.99, it should be here tomorrow morning.

Well, it's also available on Amazon with free shipping. 'Course, it's $23.99, which is a higher total than YT is. ;)

(quoted from post at 14:31:54 07/18/23)
(quoted from post at 12:17:37 07/18/23) Wow, thanks Dave! Even though I don't use the pin I have now, I went ahead and ordered another one from YT just so I'd have one for both my tractors. It kind of irks a bit to pay $14.99 shipping for a $7.50 part but like I said where else is there to get one? For $14.99, it should be here tomorrow morning.

Well, it's also available on Amazon with free shipping. 'Course, it's $23.99, which is a higher total than YT is. ;)

you can get lots of stuff shipped for that minimum charge if it's all small and light. unless it's something i need urgently, i add it to a list and get a bunch of stuff at once.

(quoted from post at 10:31:54 07/18/23)

Could not find one on Amazon. I looked through 10 pages of stuff.

(quoted from post at 16:28:10 07/18/23)

I searched for ferguson hinged top link pin and it was on the first page.

(quoted from post at 06:23:13 07/19/23)
(quoted from post at 16:28:10 07/18/23)

I searched for ferguson hinged top link pin and it was on the first page.

OK, it seems that "ferguson" is the magic word. Even searching for "hinged top link pin" will not bring it up. :wink:

(quoted from post at 11:07:42 07/19/23)

i tried the same search, it was on page three. no tractor brand specified ;)

(quoted from post at 07:32:03 07/19/23)

One more problem. It's listed as a top link pin. I have two tractors and various implements and none of them hook to those lugs on the differential.

What exactly was it that hooked to those lugs?

(quoted from post at 16:31:05 07/19/23)
(quoted from post at 07:32:03 07/19/23)

One more problem. It's listed as a top link pin. I have two tractors and various implements and none of them hook to those lugs on the differential.

What exactly was it that hooked to those lugs?
erguson wagon hitch. Don't think Ford had any use for them and Ferguson sued Ford to stop the hinged pin part way thru 8N production, so Ford just sold a straight non-hinged pin.

So, are you saying there are some 8N's that didn't have those lugs on the rear end? Or are you saying that Ford just could not provide or sell a hinged pin anymore?

You say that Ford sold a straight non hinged pin? How could one get a straight pin in there since the vertical lift arms are in the way? That was the reason for the hinged pin.

This post was edited by Caryc on 07/19/2023 at 05:18 pm.

(quoted from post at 19:09:06 07/19/23) So, are you saying there are some 8N's that didn't have those lugs on the rear end?

i only know my 47 2N doesn't have them.

(quoted from post at 16:52:42 07/19/23)
(quoted from post at 19:09:06 07/19/23) So, are you saying there are some 8N's that didn't have those lugs on the rear end?

i only know my 47 2N doesn't have them.

Both my 1950 8N and my 1958 MF202 have those lugs.

(quoted from post at 18:09:06 07/19/23) So, are you saying there are some 8N's that didn't have those lugs on the rear end? Or are you saying that Ford just could not provide or sell a hinged pin anymore?

You say that Ford sold a straight non hinged pin? How could one get a straight pin in there since the vertical lift arms are in the way? That was the reason for the hinged pin.

This post was edited by Caryc on 07/19/2023 at 05:18 pm.

FpB9EMw.jpg

The long pin,8n486A was designed by Harry Ferguson for use with the Ferguson wagon.They were installed on the 48 and early 49 8ns,but due to the law suit,were forbidden to use them after serial number 237337.I see no use for the long pin.Ferguson modified the pin to make it a hinged pin.The hinged pin is still available.The only diff is that it folds in the middle to make it easier to get in.Again, I say....there is no use for the pin.It was replaced by 8n486B ,which is the short pin.IMHO don b

and no, I did not say that some 8Ns didn't have lugs. I believe all did.

Thanks for the info. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I don't see how one could get a solid pin in there. On both my tractors, the vertical lift arms are in the way. The hinged pin will go in there but a solid pin will not.

I suppose one could remove the pins at the bottom of the vertical lift arms to get a solid pin in there.

When & if you have a need to install, I feel certain that you or I can find a way to accomplish it. I have not tried it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back