1955 ford 800 172 gas engine won't start

rdjinny

okay here's my story, I just rebuilt the engine new sleeves pistons valves etc. the whole works just finished putting it back onto the tractor yesterday, I set the no. 1 cylinder at TDC and rotated flywheel to 4 degrees installed distributor etc. started it up first try but was running rough kept turning distributor both ways and it really didn't improve and then it stopped running and now when I keep trying to start all it does is backfire, I've pulled distributor several times rotated to TDC several times but same results nothing but backfiring, I'm lost with what's wrong soaked so much money into it already.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Rick

okay here's my story, I just rebuilt the engine new sleeves pistons valves etc. the whole works just finished putting it back onto the tractor yesterday, I set the no. 1 cylinder at TDC and rotated flywheel to 4 degrees installed distributor etc. started it up first try but was running rough kept turning distributor both ways and it really didn't improve and then it stopped running and now when I keep trying to start all it does is backfire, I've pulled distributor several times rotated to TDC several times but same results nothing but backfiring, I'm lost with what's wrong soaked so much money into it already.

Thanks Rick
Are you getting TDC on the compression stroke? TDC is only right for firing every other rotation.

Do you have the plug wires in the right firing order, the right way around the distributor?

Thanks Rick
Are you getting a good blue/white spark that jumps a 1/4 inch gap or more?? If you put new points in make sure they didn't slip closed or slip open to wide

Are you getting TDC on the compression stroke? TDC is only right for firing every other rotation.

Do you have the plug wires in the right firing order, the right way around the distributor?
And I can only suspect you know when the piston is coming up on the compression stroke it will be pumping or pushing air/compression out of the spark plug hole. On the exhaust stroke it will not because the exhaust valve will be open.

Thanks Rick
Best to have the correct parts to start with. Proper Tune-Up required. Manuals and documents required See if this helps...

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 63.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 63.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 64.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 64.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • SIDE DIST SETTINGS.jpg
    SIDE DIST SETTINGS.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DISTRIBUTIR TUNE-UP PG 2.jpg
    DISTRIBUTIR TUNE-UP PG 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • DISTRIBUTIR TUNE-UP PG 3.jpg
    DISTRIBUTIR TUNE-UP PG 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • DISTRIBUTIR TUNE-UP PG 4.jpg
    DISTRIBUTIR TUNE-UP PG 4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • DISTRIBUTOR TUNE-UP PG 1.jpg
    DISTRIBUTOR TUNE-UP PG 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • FORD TRACTOR SHOP MANUAL - HUNDRED SERIES - AUG 1955 - IGNITION PG 48.jpeg
    FORD TRACTOR SHOP MANUAL - HUNDRED SERIES - AUG 1955 - IGNITION PG 48.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • FORD TRACTOR 600 & 800 DISTRIBUTOR 53-55.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR 600 & 800 DISTRIBUTOR 53-55.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back