1956 JD60 Oil Pressure Gauge and tubing

DY

Last fall, when I was bush hogging with my 1956 JD60, oil started coming out of the instrument cluster. So I put the tractor in my barn and waited for a nice warm day to work on it. Today I removed the bolts holding the cover and pulled it away an inch or two. When I started the tractor, oil was coming from the tube connected to the oil pressure gauge. Now the gauge and oil line are on my kitchen table. The gauge needle is pointing at the H. So I will buy a new gauge. But I'm not sure what size the tubing is. And my tubing is larger than the coil of copper tubing that comes with the Y.T. kit. Does it matter what size tubing I use? And how do I use the small threaded parts that go on either end?

Race cars use big tubing for instantaneous readings of their oil pressure. Farmers use any tubing that will fit the fittings. As long as you can blow a little air through it, it will do. steve

When fiddling around with the oil pressure gauge tubing . This is the time to add pressure lubrication to the hydraulic pump idler gear .

The correct size of the tubing is 3/16" as mentioned. I sourced my tubing and the ferrels I used from a local family own plumbing supply in copper. I have since found that NAPA has different size tubings in steel and something easily bendable for brake line. Now most things can be sourced online. But this is what I used after making a mock-up out of #9 wire.

iphone Oct 2014 978.jpg

iphone Oct 2014 979.jpg

iphone Oct 2014 968.jpg

iphone Oct 2014 967.jpg

Hope this helps. IMNO the 1/8" tubing looks terrible. The tubing I used was actually a copper-nickel alloy.

Last edited:
Looks is the only thing to worry about there the gauge won’t care. But the ez bend line is exactly what I would do. A big line feeding the gauge would have little effect on the gauge response in fact at startup it will take a second longer to register as it fills the bigger line.

The correct size of the tubing is 3/16" as mentioned. I sourced my tubing and the ferrels I used from a local family own plumbing supply in copper. I have since found that NAPA has different size tubings in steel and something easily bendable for brake line. Now most things can be sourced online. But this is what I used after making a mock-up out of #9 wire.

View attachment 67803

View attachment 67804
View attachment 67805
View attachment 67806

Hope this helps. IMNO the 1/8" tubing looks terrible.

"IMNO the 1/8" tubing looks terrible."

As does 3/16" copper tubing used in place of the original steel line.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back