1960 841 3 pt hitch

NHtractors

New User
Hello, I've got a 1960 841 with 3 pt hitch issues, bought last fall and just getting to it. My question is on the dipstick it says check fluid level with all pistons extended. What pistons? My loader is completely seperate from the 3 pt system I believe, so not understanding what it means. I bought a pail of New Holland hydraulic transmission oil (premium) I want to change the fluid as its milky looking. Center plug on bottom correct? Thanks in advance

"All pistons extended means the lift piston for the 3 point lift, plus any pistons that you might have attached to remote valves or an hydraulic adapter plate. So in your case, it sounds like it just has the 3 point lift piston, so fully extend that, which means put the 3 point lift arms at their highest position.

Hi Sean, will do. I'll lift them up manually and prop something underneath to keep them in upright position, wont lift on its own. Between being a bit low on fluid and crappy
fluid, that's why I'm changing it out. I'll give it a shot, thanks. Tom

Lifting the arms up by hand will not extend the piston
Just add the the full mark and once the lift raises on its own recheck the fluid level and add as needed

Changing the fluid won't take care of your milky oil problem. Your hydraulic reservoir is open to the atmosphere and water gets in as vapor and then condenses on the walls of the chamber. In its early life your 841 worked frequently enough for long enough to generate enough heat to drive the moisture out. The modern UTF oil holds the moisture in suspension.

(quoted from post at 06:42:35 05/22/23)
Changing the fluid won't take care of your milky oil problem.

It will for the short term. Either work it hard or change the fluid more often.

Sean, as you know many newer posters here think that a previous owner was careless and left the tractor out in the rain, so new oil and keeping it under cover will fix it. Most of us know that condensation is most likely the cause, and that even though he keeps it covered his new oil will soon be milky.

(quoted from post at 13:15:57 05/22/23)
(quoted from post at 06:42:35 05/22/23)
Changing the fluid won't take care of your milky oil problem.

It will for the short term. Either work it hard or change the fluid more often.

Sean, as you know many newer posters here think that a previous owner was careless and left the tractor out in the rain, so new oil and keeping it under cover will fix it. Most of us know that condensation is most likely the cause, and that even though he keeps it covered his new oil will soon be milky.

You said that changing the fluid wouldn't help, and the way I read it, it seemed like you were discouraging him from changing it at all.

Well guys, I hear ya on the condensation issue, no getting around that at the moment, The ole girl did set for three years smack dab in the middle of a field where it was parked
and forgotten. Since I've spent the egg money on the pail of fluid I might as well change it. Shelter may happen some day but not in the near future, I'll see.

well I got the fluid changed, it was nasty. Still nothing, primed the pump multiple times, From what I read it should take 9 qts, I put in as best as I could judge that amount,
dip stick has full mark then a full pedestal marking also, If I look in where the fill cap is it seems low to me, if anyone were to approximate how full would the reservoir be
from the top? I don't want to over fill it but if I'm looking at parts inside then I'm thinking they should be submerged, not visible. I'll get it eventually no doubt, all part of
the fun of being a new tractor owner. And besides that the black flies here in NH are out hard today, if you're familiar with those you know what I mean.

(quoted from post at 15:47:58 05/22/23) well I got the fluid changed, it was nasty. Still nothing, primed the pump multiple times, From what I read it should take 9 qts, I put in as best as I could judge that amount,
dip stick has full mark then a full pedestal marking also, If I look in where the fill cap is it seems low to me, if anyone were to approximate how full would the reservoir be
from the top? I don't want to over fill it but if I'm looking at parts inside then I'm thinking they should be submerged, not visible. I'll get it eventually no doubt, all part of
the fun of being a new tractor owner. And besides that the black flies here in NH are out hard today, if you're familiar with those you know what I mean.

You won't be far off from correct level going by the dipstick even with the lift cylinder in retracted position. I would say full would be around nine inches from the top. Here in Chester NH I have seen only two black flies so far.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back