1971 Ford 3500 Engine Oil Dipstick

May be the dumb question of the day but what's the correct engine oil level on the dipstick? There's one line at the top of the word "ADD", further up the stick the word "Full" but no second line? I attached a picture, thank you in advance!
mvphoto110170.jpg

I was about to make a smart azzed comment then I actually looked close at your picture - that is kind of weird.

I own a lot of Ford's, but none like the F350 you are talking about and I've never seen that. But no, this is a 1971 ford 3500 tractor with a diesel.

(reply to post at 00:07:21
09/26/23)

I went and checked a 3400,4500, 5000 all diesels. Stick has cross hatch between add/full lines. Add/full are lots farther apart but it appears when full it would be above the last L.

That's interesting, sounds like olgentdc might be correct with his assumption based off the gas engine. Appears the smart thing for me to do is to drain the oil, look up the actual capacity, fill it to that level and then see where it lies on the dipstick.

I have no personal experience with that tractor or the
dipstick. I would say if you filled it to the F in Full or
any place that covered the letters in the word full
would be fine. Even if that is more oil than the actually
capacity spec it will not hurt a thing. That is only my
opinion and how I would treat it if it were mine.

when it hits the full mark its full. just like one instructor said in school. the dip stick is only a guide. anywhere inbetween is good.

FULL is the mark as others say also. i am saying anywhere on the full mark ... top or bottom it dont matter... how much oil difference do u think that is ? ... couple of cup fulls from top to bottom.

(quoted from post at 07:30:38 09/26/23) FULL is the mark as others say also. i am saying anywhere on the full mark ... top or bottom it dont matter... how much oil difference do u think that is ? ... couple of cup fulls from top to bottom.

For now I would keep it between the two. When you change the oil next time fill it one quart low, run it to operating temperature (to get the filter full) turn it off and let it sit long enough (an hour or so) to allow it to drain back down into the oil pan and check it. If it matches or is close to the add mark well and good. If not, file a new line across the dipstick. Now add the last quart and run it again to operating temperature, shut it off and let it drain back again and check it again. This time file a mark to be your full reference or note where it is in reference to the "full" lettering. Of course, the tractor must be level when you do this. :)

I'm guessing the mark above ADD is the full mark. I would drain the oil and put in the amount the book calls for and then see where it shows on the dip stick. I'll bet that's a replacement aftermarket dipstick.
Dave

We ended up adding a quart when it hit the mark above the ADD symbol, brought it to about the middle of the word FULL. Gonna run it there for now, I need to change all the fluids next week and at that time I will look up the correct capacities for that motor and make sure the dipstick is marked correctly, thanks everyone!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back