1972 JD 1020… moves in reverse but won't move forward. Shuttle shift. If it does move forward it stops? Cleaned the screen on the side of transmission

Is it a costly fix?
What do you consider "costly"? Cost will depend on who will do the work and what is needed when apart and inspected. Do you have the ability to split the tractor and do the work yourself, or would you be taking it to a shop. The service manual should have some diagnostic tests that should be done before tearing it down. My answer of the failed clutch is based on you posting it works ok in reverse and the sump screen was plugged with "some gunk". the clutch material would look like gunk on the screen, as will brake material.

I will be doing it myself. I was a logging outfit owner in my younger years. Lol so we basically had to do all our own stuff. You mentioned a service manual?

It's kinda crazy. It was getting slow about moving forward but once it starts moving it would rare upon the back tires it couldn't pull the load. I couldn't understand the bad clutch idea

The brakes are fine. You can spin it on a dime
Those wet brakes will keep working even metal to metal. the fiber from them will end up in the screen as well.

SM2071 is the John Deere service manual publication number for a North American 1020 (built in Dubuque). If it happens to be a Mannheim built one, I think TM4286 is the manual for those. This site's store likely has a reprint copy.

IMG_20230623_154729080.jpg

Those wet brakes will keep working even metal to metal. the fiber from them will end up in the screen as well.

SM2071 is the John Deere service manual publication number for a North American 1020 (built in Dubuque). If it happens to be a Mannheim built one, I think TM4286 is the manual for those. This site's store likely has a reprint copy.
Thank you

Ditto this 1020 was built in Dubuque, Ia for intended sales in N America. It appears from viewing 1020 parts catalog # 970 that forward utilizes 3 clutch plates. I recommend replacing all associated seals/o-rings when splitting trans for repair. It's not a major item but your 1020 with serial # 127,096 is a '71 not '72 model.

Attachments

• 1713874420979.png
    1713874420979.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-04-23 071800.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-23 071800.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 5
A lot of 10,20. 30 and early 40 production that went to Canada was Mannheim built . Instead of Dubuque .
You haven't answered my question below:

When fiddling around with the oil pressure gauge tubing . This is the time to add pressure lubrication to the hydraulic pump idler gear .
Why and how would you do that?
The hydraulic pump idler gear runs in hydraulic oil.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back