1975 international 140 will not stay running

Robert101557

New User
My son-in-law has an International 140 that will not stay running we have cleaned all of the fuel system components. It will start and run
great for about 2 min. then shuts down and you can start it back up immediately, so I would think it is not fuel related. Does anyone have an
idea what the issue could be? I have run it with out the fuel cap and it still dies out.

It still sounds like a fuel issue. There is a small screen on the fuel line inlet elbow. This is sometimes missed when cleaning the fuel system because people don't know it is there. To clean it, you have to remove the elbow from the carburetor.

You can IMMEDIATELY check for spark when it quits to see if the problem is ignition or fuel.

Believe your carburetor has a bowl drain. If so get it loose and ready to remove, maybe with a thread or two. When the tractor quits remove the drain plug immediately to see if you do indeed have gas. You should have a steady stream going thru the carb. If just a trickle you got issues. Check the elbow screen as mentioned. How long since a good tuneup??

A condenser that is going bad can do that.... It will drive you crazy thinking it's a fuel issue. Easy enough to swap it out with a good one from Napa.

In addition the what Grandpa and Jim Becker says when the tractor stalls I suggest laying a hand on the coil to see if it is extremely hot to the touch .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back