1982 jd 3130 hydraulic problems

hi all. i have a 1982 jd 3130 which i am experiencing hydraulic problems with in the back end. when i bought the tractor there was a small oil leak at the mounting pins for the rear lift arms and there was a bit of play in the power steering due to the loss of oil. i had the two seal on the mounting pins replaced, and everthing was fine for a while. because of the increased pressure from the new seals one of the seals or o rings in the steering column then started to leak. i took this to be old age and replaced it too. it has now started to leak from all three places again.
any ideas what is causing this and any solutions.
any help is greatly appreciated

I've never seen a 3130 here in the U.S., but they must be similar to the 2940, ect. If so, the pins you see sticking out the sides at the bottom of the rear end that the hitch arms mount to are actually the ends of the draft control shaft. When the o-rings leak, it's usually because the shaft and bushings are worn and need to be replaced. There's no oil pressure on them. I'm not sure which steering unit your tractor has, but usually a leak around the shaft that the steering wheel attaches to is a sign of an internal leak, or the shaft has a groove worn into it from the seal and needs to be replaced. Most of the time you just end up going through the whole unit. It sounds like you've got two totally seperate problems.

Alan...Not only have I seen a 3130 I also used to own one. As the other reply stated I would think you should also check the load control shaft for wear as any grooves you can feel with a fingernail will cause a leak. The only pressure on this area is the weight of the oil in the transmission housing...no pressure as such but still the weight of the oil exerts a load on the seals. Make sure your parts man gives you the newest # as these have changed recently. You didn't say where the leak is on the steering so I am going to assume its bleeding out at the steering shaft just below the wheel. The seal at the top is mainly a dust seal....there are 6 yes 6 o rings down inside the column that seal the steering valves to the housing,if they leak the dust seal at the top will not contain it. Hope this helps... post back with any more questions if you need to. By the way my neice worked in Ireland this past summer and just lovrd the country,wish I could e-mail myself over for a visit...family came from there 100+ years ago. Best of luck, Bob

jd has up graded seals..the seals are purple... the shaft is 1.102 ..the seals work good but must be used only with the 1.102 shaft...

MAY GOD BLESS THE USA

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back