Bkpigs

Wanting to spot spray some horsenettle. How many oz. per gallon of 2-4d would you suggest? I was thinking about 2 oz. per gal. Again, it is with a hand held sprayer and just spot spraying.

With the big sprayer I spray 15 gallons water per acre with 32 oz of 4 pound 2-4D and that works out to darned close to 2oz per gallon. Now, getting the 15 gallons per acre rate with a hand sprayer takes some practice.

1.5-3 oz per gallon you'll kill almost any broadleaf. Add a few drops of dish detergent and you'll get a better kill. Remember that 24D likes
to drift and will kill plants you may not want to kill. My MIL had some new tomato plants under the car port years ago and had her hand
sprayer close by. We guess just the fumes from the sprayer killed the tomato plants.

It'll be on the label. They put that in there so you'll know the best amount, no guesing involved.

wasting your time and herbicide trying to kill horsenettle with 2-4D. Need to at least spike it with some dicamba (Banvel, Clarity) or get some Grazon P+D if you have a pesticide license.
Trust me on this one. I fought the stuff for years until Grazon came out.Just now getting some fields cleaned up.

(quoted from post at 18:59:15 09/07/15) Wanting to spot spray some horsenettle. How many oz. per gallon of 2-4d would you suggest? I was thinking about 2 oz. per gal. Again, it is with a hand held sprayer and just spot spraying.

The application rate is a moot point when using a hand held sprayer, so the ounces per gallon mix rate is kind of a guessing game also. I use a 2 1/2 gallon hand sprayer. I pour enough 2,4d into the tank to sufficiently fill the indentations in the bottom, and then fill with water. I apply enough to make the leaves noticeably wet, but not to the point of dripping. I've had very good luck killing stinging nettle, giant ragweed, and wild hemp. It does take several days, sometimes one week, before the weeds begin to show stress.

I don't know about stinging nettle but horsenettle has a pretty extensive root system and is a perennial. 2-4d might stunt it a little but it won't kill it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back