2 vs. 4 vs. 6 cylinder

Naw you guys got it all wrong. Deere sold those other 2 cylinders to Oliver so they could have a 6 cylinder while screwing those Deere owners and profiting from the sale of those extra 2 cylinders. All just in fun. I think I've heard most of it over the years going to drives and shows. But nothing will plow around the corner in the field like a Cat. When down to the last round at the edge of the field.

There are a raft of other things that go into a good working tractor that members could say are "not being addressed here". Hydraulics, including flow, implement lifting and lowering, and draft sensing, PTO power for implement work, transmissions with adequate numbers of ratios for the job at hand. When you go to a tractor pull and watch 150 hooks you will see all the others out pull JDs many times. But when it comes to the rearward weight bias, and getting real work done, you will see either a rack of weights of sometimes over 1/3 of the tractors weight out front, or the tractor's front end going skyward and work coming to an end.
Say What?? Did you ever watch till the end of a pull. All there is left pulling after 5500 is JD G's. They go up to 7500 or 8000 lbs consiistanly. The Olivers are good in the lighter classes but drop out after 4500 or 5000. The IH's (M's) have not been popular at pulls the last couple of years as they have reached their hp capacity and the rest have gone past them unless you want to count the guys running truck engines in their 460's and 560's then that is an entirely different game.

Say What?? Did you ever watch till the end of a pull. All there is left pulling after 5500 is JD G's. They go up to 7500 or 8000 lbs consiistanly. The Olivers are good in the lighter classes but drop out after 4500 or 5000. The IH's (M's) have not been popular at pulls the last couple of years as they have reached their hp capacity and the rest have gone past them unless you want to count the guys running truck engines in their 460's and 560's then that is an entirely different game.
Yup, at most pulls the heavy classes pull last so having both a light and a heavy means I arrive early and stay late. It appears that you are unfamiliar with many models of many brands.

My understanding is that the straight 6 is inherently balanced and the reason why it has been, and still is, used in lots of applications from 1950's autos and trucks to today's OTR Diesel trucks. Other thing is that the longer crankshaft (increased rotating mass) helps in the torque calculation.
Chrysler is replaceing the hemi v8 with a straight 6. Mazda is using a straight 6 in their high dollar suv. It may be fair to say the most cubic inches with the least cylinders will give you the most torque, all other things being equal. Also the longer stroke engine would have more torque than a short stroke engine of the same size.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back