20 acre tractor

Tom Bond

What would be my best bet for a working tractor for 20 acres tillable? I've had several old Fords. A 4000 4 cyclinder, a couple 961's an 861 and a Jubilee. Those were more just hobbies. Never really worked any of them except for some brush hogging and snow plowing. Now I have a place with some tillable that I may plant some sweet corn, other veggies and then work a couple food plots on some hunting land. The old Fords are really nice to work on but I've seen around here they just can't go slow enough for a tiller which I'm sure I'll need. I've heard the 3 cylinder diesels are slow enough but don't really know anything about them. Any input on models, options, hp or the like is appreciated. Even open to other brands then just Fords. Just looking for something to get the job done and reliable. Thanks! Tom

Any particular price range? Max amount you're willing to pay? That will narrow it down some.

What would be my best bet for a working tractor for 20 acres tillable? I've had several old Fords. A 4000 4 cyclinder, a couple 961's an 861 and a Jubilee. Those were more just hobbies. Never really worked any of them except for some brush hogging and snow plowing. Now I have a place with some tillable that I may plant some sweet corn, other veggies and then work a couple food plots on some hunting land. The old Fords are really nice to work on but I've seen around here they just can't go slow enough for a tiller which I'm sure I'll need. I've heard the 3 cylinder diesels are slow enough but don't really know anything about them. Any input on models, options, hp or the like is appreciated. Even open to other brands then just Fords. Just looking for something to get the job done and reliable. Thanks! Tom
I would consider the idea of conventional moldboard plowing for two reasons: rotary tilling is very hard on earthworm populations, and it is time consuming. Look into the advantages and issues then decide. Your current flock of tractors can do all but rotary tilling. Jim

X2 for Janicholson suggestion. Don't need a tiller! Plow, disk, cultivator and harrow. Maybe some sort of seeder. One item for each tractor!

not enough information to provide a good answer

If soil is unusually hard as in not been tilled in years a chisel plow/all purpose plow may soften it up better than a disc harrow.

If soil is unusually hard as in not been tilled in years a chisel plow/all purpose plow may soften it up better than a disc harrow.
It's actually pretty sandy, soft soil. The hunting ground has only been mowed for the last 15 years. It would need some serious work to get it turned I would bet.

It's actually pretty sandy, soft soil. The hunting ground has only been mowed for the last 15 years. It would need some serious work to get it turned I would bet.
I don’t have a lot of experience with sandy, soft soil. I do know for a fact it will plow much easier than the clay/gumbo we had in some of our fields in KS. A 40 or 50hp tractor will maintain 20 acres just fine. To plow 20 acres with a 3-14 plow will take a little over 13 hours.

The FORD N-SERIES Tractors, an 8N is better than a 9N, are perfect workhorses for farms small and large. Hobby farms, food plots, gardens, mowing, brush hogging, snow plowing, and more can all be done efficiently on an N. The later Hundred Series and Thousand Series models may be too big for your needs. The bigger 134 and 172 engines consume more fuel for example. An N usea 4-CYL Flat Head FORD 119 CID engine. Easy to work on, parts are available, and can have fun as well. The NAA began using the 134 CID OHV Engine in SEP 1952 and is a better power plant. ALL FORD used the 6V/POS GRN Electrical System but many have been switched over to 12V/NEG GRN by guys. A 6V or 12V setup is what is important. Forget a serial number - means nothing. NOTE: Many DIY 12V conversions are done wrong so you need to get the correct wiring diagrams too. Forget a roto-tiller, N's not geared for it. Early 8N, 47-50 used the Front Mount Distributor - often a mystery to some but the later 1950-1952 8N used a side distributor; a much better system., Find old Dearborn Equipment as a plow, cultivator, disc, spring tooth harrow, to use and you will be happy. The 1st thing to do whatever you get is to invest in The Essential Manuals and read before you do anything. Avoid buting anymnewparst and jsutstartrepacing willy nilly. Old must prove defective before you replace anything and then rebuild the OEM components as they were designed to be. New are mostly junk. A used 8N can go from $1200 to $5000 so ya got to do your homework on seller. Price out new/used Kubotas. A good call but you'll need deeper pockets.

ESSENTIAL MANUALS - FORD 8N-SERIES:

1) Original Owner's/Operator's Manual
2) Original 1939-1953 MPC (Master Parts Catalog)
3) I&T F0-$ Service Manual

#2 and # 3 also required for a 9N or 2N. Get and read religiously B4 anyhing else.

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD  JULY 1947 8NOWNERS MANUAL.jpg
    FORD JULY 1947 8NOWNERS MANUAL.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 12
  • FORD 8N OPERATORS MANUAL - LATE.jpg
    FORD 8N OPERATORS MANUAL - LATE.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • FORD TRACTOR MASTER PARTS CATALOG - 1939 - 1953.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR MASTER PARTS CATALOG - 1939 - 1953.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • I&T F0-4 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    I&T F0-4 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
those fords would easily do the job a little slowe but lowr price and eaasiley maintained

When I was a kid, our neighbor farmed with two 2Ns'
My dad farmed with 3 JD As.
Another neighbor had a hobby farm and he had a JD B.
Smaller tractors meant you had a lot of seat time on the tractor.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend
I have a Kubota L4400 2 wheel drive , its a great tractor
good traction and lots of power.
runs my 5 foot rototiller with power to spare.

Once upon a time, I bought a 40 acre farm, 20 of it farmable. Found a 9N with all the implements and planted 15 acres with it but it was hard work. Sold the 9N and bought a 300 Case used from a dealer. Wow, what a difference, more power, hydraulics were much easier to control, sat up higher out of the dust, etc. Try the tractor out, especially the hydraulics, before you would buy, There's a lot of good tractors out there and a lot that aren't so good.

Good for you getting a new place! I have been farming with a 961 among other tractors for over thirty years. I agree with the others about tilling. It is much faster and much better for your soil to turn it with a land plow, and then disk it. HOWEVER, corn needs to put its tap root down fairly deep to get adequate moisture, and land plowing year after year can result in a hard pan at 5-6 inches. You will want to consult with you local SCS or cooperative extension to find out if you need to chisel it. I have seen chisels to work on your Fords come up every now and then. I would definitely stick with the tractors that you have. You can do most of your work in third gear.

Roto tilling tends to deplete soil organic matter content so another vote to plow then disk or harrow the soil. Things that your Fords can do well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back