2N What Do I do With It...

Hobo,NC

I brought this 2N early spring I paid to much for it at the time but got some good equipment with it... I have been kicking myself I don't need the equipment and for sure a junk 2N... It was a hard starter low compression ended up being it had set so long a couple exhaust valve seats had enoufh rust on them it killed two cylinders so it made for a hard starter.

I jumped right on it pulled the valves out BTW the hardest valves I have ever had to deal with to get out, the exhaust were free rotating style to compound maters... None of my tricks worked so it was time for a new trick :)... I would run the lifter up with the cam then heat the valve spring with a propane torch while lifting up on the valve. It surprised me using a propane torch how fast the spring would collapse once collapsed it stayed that way giving me room to get the keepers, retainers and the spring out... The fight was still on I liked to never beat the guilds out...

I got busy and never got back to it tell ya the truth I was hopping someone would come along needing a good set of tires so I could part the rest out...

Normally around this time of year I get slow so pulled it into the shop and completed the valve job... It had good Oil pressure before I took it apart I wanted to make sure it still did before I fired it up after the valve job... I made several attempts thur the oil pressure relief valve hole it was a no go... I think it was Ken, TX that posted to prime it on the line where the oil pressure enters the T block on back of the engine I already had it off.... I hooked up a pressure tank and fed it close to a qt of oil at about 30 PSI... I took the primer off hooked the oil gauge back up hit the starter and BAM I had 20 PSI on the gauge with the starter alone :)

I Turned the switch on it fired right up no smoke good oil pressure even good OP HOT :) at idle...

My ambition was just to see the engine run again either it would be a parts engine/tractor are if I was lucky a good runner well I hit the lottery its a strong engine no smoke, noise, leaks good OP... Other than the brakes its as good a 2N as I have ever worked on the steering is solid/tight hydraulics work just nuttin worn out... The hood is a beater hood its had a RUFF life..

So What am I gonna do with it around here its worth more dead than alive...
The dead part does involve more work than I want to do and at this time I don't have room for more tractor parts...

I am thinking shoot for $1500 as is...

Part out $1000 for a complete engine bell housing forward including the radiator and starter...

Tires should fetch at least $700.

Steering gear sectors a matched set in great condition a minimum $300.

The other little dodads that are getting hard to find like the wiring tube on top of the engine that I did not put back on, the starter safety linkage and the air cleaner they are get'N extremely hard to find...

mvphoto28269.jpg

mvphoto28270.jpg

mvphoto28272.jpg

Looks like an 8N engine and that ought to sell... especially since it can currently be run for proof... How much more blessing can you stand?!!?!? :)

Good post Hobo.
I'm kinda faced with that dilema myself.
Got a couple of good parts tractors but
parts aren't selling.
I'm thinking I could make one runner out
of two plus parts on hand.
Might go that way come spring.
No $ in selling tractors either but it's
about the same amount of work and you only
have to deal with a few goof offs, low
ballers, no shows, etc.
Mine aren't running though. Sounds like
yours is. Shame to knock it over the head.
I kinda wish you were closer too.
A guy I know seized up his 2N this fall.
No oil.
Only runs it about 15 hrs a year brush
hogging so he's not willing to spend a lot
to fix it.
I told him I'd start looking around.

I never had a good runner all had some issue are another that required major engine work... I get 450 are so for a rebuildable engine I would think 1K for a plug and play stem to stern engine would be a good buy.

Clutch, flywheel,starter,carb,manifold,dist,water pump,radiator plus a good running engine.. That sill involves more work :(...

I think I will put it on cracklist and try and sell it as a unit and be done with it...

If they run, around here 700.00 will usually buy them. If the brakes work, maybe $750.00 -$800.00

As you said, great tires and at least one hat rim. Pre-cleaner.
Lots of good parts there for a mutt. Probably worth more as parts.
That obviously involves even more work and you still may have to
try to prove to a potential buyer that it all works. PITA

Your temporary gas tank is similar to mine, albeit larger. What
are you using to hold it on the tractor? Mine hangs on a magnet.

mvphoto28318.jpg

Muffler clamp around the pipe and a flat strap like plumbing strap but a little thicker... I need to upgrade the strap. The original idea was for working on motorcycles when you had the tank off hang it from overhead...

I need to get the hood on and list it on cracklist....

Since it?s Christmas......give it to me.....just a thought...lol....let me tell you about my bad purchase...bid on a ?parts tractor?...on EBay....and won ...unfortunately.....
When I went to pick it up?.....no internal engine parts.....opps...what a dope....me that is!

WOW round here a decent running 8N OK rubber, so so tin is a 1200-1500 tractor. 1000 for just an engine? Hope you get it.

Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back