3-cyl 2000 starter not engaging

Mike(NEOhio)

The starter spins fine but does not engage the flywheel. Took it off and tested on the bench and it seems to be working. The pole shoe works as it should but after I put it back on, same problem. Can I just replace the bendix or is there something else I should check?

My experience over the years supported by my recent purchase of CIH 395 ands 895 tractors is that the ignition switch is the culprit. Tear one apart and observe the contact arcing and contamination and you will see why these switches aren't useable over extended years...just not lots of "beef" in the contacts......lots cheaper and easier to replace than the starter, brushes, bendix, solenoid, and all that expensive "stuff".

My experience over the years supported by my recent purchase of CIH 395 ands 895 tractors is that the ignition switch is the culprit. Tear one apart and observe the contact arcing and contamination and you will see why these switches aren't useable over extended years...just not lots of "beef" in the contacts......lots cheaper and easier to replace than the starter, brushes, bendix, solenoid, and all that expensive "stuff".
I just put a new key switch in it yesterday. Are you talking about the
I just put a new key switch in it yesterday. Are you talking about the button type switch that mounts right on the starter? Not the case here. It's a Ford starter with the moveable pole shoe to engage the pinion and a relay operated by the key switch. This just started missing a couple of days ago and accompanied a no-spark problem that turned out to be the points.

Did you look at the flywheel ring gear while you had the starter out? Are you sure that the teeth are in good shape?

Yes you can just replace the bendix, I had the same problem on a 3000 a couple years ago. This was a factory rebuilt from CNH it lasted about a year and would just spin, took it off and installed a new bendix and it's been working fine since. I purchased the bendix from a local rebuilder, apparently the one used in the factory rebuilt wasn't of the highest quality.

Did you look at the flywheel ring gear while you had the starter out? Are you sure that the teeth are in good shape?
Yeah, the teeth are a bit nicked but overall OK. I put a new ring gear on it some years ago due to previous starter problems. The starter on in now is a reman from a chain parts store so quality is questionable. I needed one in a hurry at the time. I should have had the original rebuilt.

A new twist to this thread. I tore the starter down yesterday to replace the bendix. In doing so I discovered that one of the brush holders was loose. This is a reman and the back end plate is a stamping. The brush holders are held to it with pop rivets and I found one missing on one of the insulated brushes and the other was a bit loose. I used some fiber washers and a bit of wire insulation and replaced the pop rivets. Got to thinking since the fields are wired to actuate the moveable pole before the armature, that may be the reason for the engagement problem. Since my parts store didn't have a bendix and I'd have to wait till Monday I put the starter back on to try. Guess what, it worked. Going to give it some time to see if it will last.

Attachments

• IMG_20240428_102804533_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20240428_102804533_HDR[1].jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 15
I just put a new key switch in it yesterday. Are you talking about the

I just put a new key switch in it yesterday. Are you talking about the button type switch that mounts right on the starter? Not the case here. It's a Ford starter with the moveable pole shoe to engage the pinion and a relay operated by the key switch. This just started missing a couple of days ago and accompanied a no-spark problem that turned out to be the points.
I'm talking about the key insertable twist switch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back