300 case oil level issue

Mrfred54

A friend has this tractor and been in the family since new. Has been sitting for years and years and wants to get it running. He recalls that his uncle parked it because the transmission fluid would keep filling the rear end with oil. The transmission fluid appears to be the hydraulic oil also, looking at it. Is this correct?? If the fluid is transferring from one housing to the other, if we split it between the housings, are there seals that can be replaced?

Bad seal between the transmission and rear end. Mine does the same thing. I use the NAPA equivalent of Hi-Tran in the rear end, transmission, and transfer case, so if one leakes into the other, it is all the same. There were several post on this a few months back.

A friend has this tractor and been in the family since new. Has been sitting for years and years and wants to get it running. He recalls that his uncle parked it because the transmission fluid would keep filling the rear end with oil. The transmission fluid appears to be the hydraulic oil also, looking at it. Is this correct?? If the fluid is transferring from one housing to the other, if we split it between the housings, are there seals that can be replaced?
The 3 point lift has a check valve to keep the hitch from lowering with the engine shut off, put a load on the arms, raise it up and shut the engine off, if the arms leak down you have bad seals on the rockshaft piston, the most common cause of oil transfer, of course shaft seals in the triple range box or the PTO shaft can be an issue also but check the hitch first.

The oil transfer issue does not require splitting the tractor rather one must remove the plate under the seat to access the ram and pto shaft seals. When you get to the point of repair ask for help to make it an easier task. My 300 had same problem, which in this case was the pto seal, and for twenty years I would drain oil into a 3 gal bucket from the rear and put it back into the hydraulic/torque tube fill hole next to the triple range lever. Then I read mEl's great explanation of the repair and found the 'courage ' to do it. It is wonderful to use this handy tractor almost daily and not be playing with oil

On a side note, change the oil in the motor, oil the distributor at the top of the shaft under the rotor and on the side oiler. Some parts are getting hard to find and expensive.

Sorry I got mEl confused with Joe(Wa) who actually gave the great directions. To find them, be on the Case forum, hit the triple bars in the top left corner, hit members at bottom of list, hit members again at the top middle of page, at find member type in Joe (Wa). His post will be on page 10, dated May 25, 2022 in response to a thread on a 1956 310 tractor. There are some more tips that would aid in this repair, ask when you are ready. I advise your friend to get a service manual on the 300 tractor. They are not expensive and make sure what he would order is real JI Case not an IT or other cut up reprint. I have three 300's and have about worn mine out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back